. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I had a single phase 2.2kw motor handy...

Do you think I'll see the lumpy torque in the surface finish?
    You'll have to wait and see, you don't have the rubber mounts normally associated with single phase machines, they help significantly in smoothing out the bumps in the torque output.
    I noticed a significant improvement in surface finish when I converted my Myford Super 7 to 3 phase, I would never go back to single phase for a lathe or mill,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You'll have to wait and see, you don't have the rubber mounts normally associated with single phase machines, they help significantly in smoothing out the bumps in the torque output.
    I noticed a significant improvement in surface finish when I converted my Myford Super 7 to 3 phase, I would never go back to single phase for a lathe or mill,
    Regards,
    Nick
    The motor is bolted to the the headstock but the drive is via belts and it's spinning a big old chuck so may not be too bad.

I'll face off some ali and see if there is any sign of uneven cut.

So when you fitted a VFD, I assume you delta the motor and wire the VFD direct to it? I read that VFD's like to be close to the motor and don't like contactors etc in the way.

Did you re-wire the fwd rev microswitches to operate the VFD or just add a control pendant/box for the VFD?

I would like to retain the fd rev lever and footbrake.

Yes, motor Delta, wired my friend's 300 to use all the standard controls, just with a speed pot added, Fwd/Rev lever works as standard as does the foot brake.
    He initially wired the motor Gamma (I named it after him) where the two ends of each winding were joined and one inverter phase was connected to each closed loop! :D
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

In the end I managed to get a rotary inverter which works great and was fairly cheap (1/3 new price). There is definatley less vibration but I didn't check surface finish with the single phase.

Nice to have original lamp and subs pump going, along with all the switchgear kept as standard.

Hi all.
    I have a similar question regarding single phase to 3 phase 240v/415v with an xsy-at1 VFD inverter. My 415v 5hp motor 4kw 7.3A is wired in delta for the 240v supply that I have. I am struggling to get it running properly as I’m not sure exactly what the parameters need to be set to or even which ones. Any help from someone would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Kirk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information