. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Unless you are using very fancy pulleys with D-shaped holes, then the flat is only for a grub screw to bear against. It's not critical and you could always put a flat on with file (if soft enough) or small grinding point. That's what I did with the ends of my ballscrews which did not have a flat as supplied.
    Ah well I'm worrying for nothing then. I'll keep these on the shelf until the physical build is done. Still waiting for the steel to arrive, then hopefully I will have some idea what I'm doing with it.

With the top of the steel box section being the bed for my linear rails, would skimming a very tiny amount (possibly 0.1 mm or less) from them with an end mill give a flat enough surface to mount on so the epoxy can be skipped altogether?

I am not being disrespectfull but i think you really need to take the time to read some of the build logs, these will give you an idea of the various build methods and proceedures for machine alignment.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Black Beard View Post
    Yes, that's what I thought. I need to find a precision straight edge then. Any suggestions?
    Vogel is a brand I've heard bandied about a bit - made in Germany so likely good kit. We ought to work out some way on this forum where such tools can get passed from person to person as they do builds.

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    I am not being disrespectfull but i think you really need to take the time to read some of the build logs, these will give you an idea of the various build methods and proceedures for machine alignment.
    Regards
    Mike
    Yes I have been looking at a few and there seem to be some discrepancies between them, hence my suggestion of machining the top surface. I will continue to take a look through more and see if there's anything I'm not accounting for. Thanks again for the pointers. Any help is appreciated as always :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    Vogel is a brand I've heard bandied about a bit - made in Germany so likely good kit. We ought to work out some way on this forum where such tools can get passed from person to person as they do builds.
    Wow, sounds like a plan. I'd be up for it even if it involved tracked delivery, smart contracts and whatnot. You know, the blockchain and escrow or something similar.

Tool and instrument decentralised repository maybe? T.I.D.R. Sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Black Beard View Post
    With the top of the steel box section being the bed for my linear rails, would skimming a very tiny amount (possibly 0.1 mm or less) from them with an end mill give a flat enough surface to mount on so the epoxy can be skipped altogether?
    My 1.8m long box sections had a dip in the middle of about 2mm one side and 3mm the other. Tricky to machine flat when the wall thickness is 3mm to start with! However, I don't know if this was "as supplied" or welding distortion but it is why I went the epoxy levelling route. Plenty of discussion on the forum about that. I did add doubler strips inside the box section to give a better bite for the rail holddown bolts

Hi Buddy
    Have a read of this,
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6546-...o-straight-%29
    Regards
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information