. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi folks,

So, I have acquired a series 1 Interact.
    Heidenhain TNC 145
    SEM MT 30R4-58 3.2NM 145V DC motors
    Bosch Z15 -1-240V drives

I purchased the machine locally. Its an ex uni machine, barely used, mechanically excellent and fully working.

It's now in my workshop, which only has a STD single phase 220V supply.

I really dislike rotary converters and the like. I know I can run spindle motor via a VFD ( as I do on my manual series 1 and Colchester lathe).

Having had a good look inside the control unit, I am not convinced that the axis controls could easily run from single phase, due to the driver boards being fed via 2 phases of the 3 phase supply. which to me, means 380V AC ( even though board is marked as 240V).
    FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME ON THIS POINT.

I also dislike the ancient TNC145 control system. only 2.5D control, limited compared to modern machines, etc.

I have read a few threads on similar builds on various sites, but all seem a few years old at least.

I realise i am looking at, some flavor of new control software ( mach*, LinuxCNC or similar) a motion controller of some description and probably new drives and possibly new motors too.

I don't think I would take the backwards step of stepper motors.
    SEM motors that are currently fitted are still like new and very quiet, so it would be nice to use these if poss. I may be persuaded to go AC servo system ( if the Chinese stuff actually works ok)

SO.... what are the up to date options? Pro's and cons would also be appreciated.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Big thing will be if the motors have quadrature output encoders, or resolvers. If they have resolvers, then you're looking at a conversion to encoders, which can get pricey.

Voltage wise, there will be various transformers for providing the voltage to the drives. They likely take the 380V and step it down to 240V. The ideal thing would be to power it up using 3 phase, then measure the voltages. You have to be aware they may use what seem like non-standard voltages (i.e. 208V), which won't work directly with UK mains voltage. Also if you bypass the transformers, you'll likely loose isolation.

Keeping the original drives, you're looking at needing an analogue (aka +/-10V) capable controller. Cheaper options are CS-Labs CSMIO-IP/A, Dynomotion KFlop+Kanalog, or whatever the LinuxCNC option is.

Swapping motors/drives does open up more options.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

There is no "right" answer.

The cslabs and machx stuff, I use, for a highly advanced lathe, is fantastic and vastly better than anything else I have seen.
    But some other higher end industrial boards also have many commercial users and excellent specs.

It is quite hard and quite difficult and quite laborious to make a "good" industrial level cnc install.
    Be it refit or new build.
    My 3 axis lathe is 120 IO +/- and needs another 40.
    On only 3 ac servo axis, so far.

Missing are servo faults, secondary optical homing, servo position tracking.
    Probing.
    Typical safety stuff interlocks, and IO for needed ancillaries in oil, tools, air, positions for toolchangers, in-pos, off-pos, etc.

Thanks for the initial replies.

I have just ordered 3 AC sevo kits. (90ST-M04025 servo & drive kit)

220V A.C.
    2500 rpm
    4NM torque ( originals were 3.2)
    Same shaft dia as originals
    Motor body is a similar diameter and (shorter too), so they looked to be the ideal retro fit.

Its a bit late, but opinions invited on this purchase.

So next is controller.

My Interact has an auto oiler with what looks like a small stepper motor.
    What is the best method of making this work ( any one done this, that can offer some detail)

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by swarf-boy View Post
    Hi folks,

So, I have acquired a series 1 Interact.
    Heidenhain TNC 145
    SEM MT 30R4-58 3.2NM 145V DC motors
    Bosch Z15 -1-240V drives

I purchased the machine locally. Its an ex uni machine, barely used, mechanically excellent and fully working.

It's now in my workshop, which only has a STD single phase 220V supply.

I really dislike rotary converters and the like. I know I can run spindle motor via a VFD ( as I do on my manual series 1 and Colchester lathe).

Having had a good look inside the control unit, I am not convinced that the axis controls could easily run from single phase, due to the driver boards being fed via 2 phases of the 3 phase supply. which to me, means 380V AC ( even though board is marked as 240V).
    FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME ON THIS POINT.

I also dislike the ancient TNC145 control system. only 2.5D control, limited compared to modern machines, etc.

I have read a few threads on similar builds on various sites, but all seem a few years old at least.

I realise i am looking at, some flavor of new control software ( mach*, LinuxCNC or similar) a motion controller of some description and probably new drives and possibly new motors too.

I don't think I would take the backwards step of stepper motors.
    SEM motors that are currently fitted are still like new and very quiet, so it would be nice to use these if poss. I may be persuaded to go AC servo system ( if the Chinese stuff actually works ok)

SO.... what are the up to date options? Pro's and cons would also be appreciated.
    Looks like we are in a very similar boat.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/12450...MDI-Conversion

Mine is Series 1 MDI. Similar motors ....

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks for the initial replies.

I have just ordered 3 AC sevo kits. (90ST-M04025 servo & drive kit)

220V A.C.
    2500 rpm
    4NM torque ( originals were 3.2)
    Same shaft dia as originals
    Motor body is a similar diameter and (shorter too), so they looked to be the ideal retro fit.

Its a bit late, but opinions invited on this purchase.

So next is controller.

My Interact has an auto oiler with what looks like a small stepper motor.
    What is the best method of making this work ( any one done this, that can offer some detail)
    Same as these?

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...85755000&ver=0

Have you received them yet?

Almost. Except I got the 90ST-M04025 model, which is 4NM and 2500 rpm.

Almost. Except I got the 90ST-M04025 model, which is 4NM and 2500 rpm.
    Ok, thanks. Received them yet? What do you think of them?

I think they make an excellent garage ornament , as that is pretty much all they are right now.

Motors them selves appear quite well constructed. Seals on every joint etc. Bearings all feel nice. Keyed shaft is well machined. Drives appear well constructed too.

My only real gripe, is the 25 pin D connector that is on CN3.
    It will have 3 or 4 different cable going to it eventually (including a shielded catb7 I think, for the encoder feedback).

Let you know more when my 24V PSU arrives.

I think they make an excellent garage ornament , as that is pretty much all they are right now.

Motors them selves appear quite well constructed. Seals on every joint etc. Bearings all feel nice. Keyed shaft is well machined. Drives appear well constructed too.

My only real gripe, is the 25 pin D connector that is on CN3.
    It will have 3 or 4 different cable going to it eventually (including a shielded catb7 I think, for the encoder feedback).

Let you know more when my 24V PSU arrives.
    Great, thanks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information