. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Guys, along with designing a cnc router I am also looking to buy a milling machine.

I will use it manually prior to a CNC conversion.

I have limited space in my garage so the max sizes are the WM18 /AMAT25 /AMAT30LV size.

I have heard many good things re the Amadeal mils and them being belt driven and having a larger cutting area.

I basically have a rough idea re drivers and board but I get confused re spindle speeds.

Do you buy a seperate spindle and fit that with a VFD or do you modify the existing one. ??

Also is there a way to determine the ball screw length easy enough, and are they end machined at all ?

Where does the community purchase from ? Any recommended sellers at all ?

As I am starting from scratch I will also need to buy cutters, clamping and a machine vice so I am trying to keep the cost of items to a minimum but not hinder quality.

The machine is for hobby use only to make prototype parts in steal and aluminium.

The mill will sit on a pre built workbench.

Unfortunately I dont have space for Bridgeport sized machines.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again

Mike
    Last edited by Hulksmash; 14-11-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Mike,
    In order to avoid unpleasant surprises you ideally need to choose a machine which someone else has converted and documented, this way you will know in advance what will fit where and what machining is required, it's worth spending a little more to avoid any pitfalls.

Spindle wise I suggest you get it running CNC first, chances are you can then make what you need to mount the spindle of your choice.

I'm in the process of converting a Chester Century VS, I bought it because the price was right but I was really lucky with it, there is no major machining of the existing parts required to accommodate 16mm ball screws on the same centre lines as the original lead screws, additionally the existing mounting points for end-float bearings will work for the ball screws.

Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Hi,

I have been following people who converted a G0704 by grizzly which is similar to the AMAT25. Also a few people have converted the wm18 like Clive on the forums.

I just wondered which would be best. The amat25 has a higher rpm but will be adding spindle / upgrading at a later date

Regards

Mike

It will be much easier to buy an older machine with ball screws fitted which has obsolete electronics and fit new electronics.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Barron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Barron View Post
    It will be much easier to buy an older machine with ball screws fitted which has obsolete electronics and fit new electronics.
    you have any idea of what models and would they be a similar size to the AMAT25 also ?

Has anyone come across this machine before or dealt with this company ?

toolco.co.uk vm32b-belt-drive

thanks

Mike

Have a look at the Denford forum of old machines or Boxford cnc machines. They both have small old machines which have ballscrews. Electronics conversions are relatively cheap.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin Barron For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulksmash View Post
    you have any idea of what models and would they be a similar size to the AMAT25 also ?

Has anyone come across this machine before or dealt with this company ?

toolco.co.uk vm32b-belt-drive

thanks

Mike
    Mike. The offer still stands if you want to pop over and see my machines and a chat. I will be selling at sometime a Novamill with ball screws and and electronics updated to Linuuxcnc with Mesa cards. But I suspect it will be too small for you.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Mike. The offer still stands if you want to pop over and see my machines and a chat.
    Many thanks, think I will need too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Hulksmash View Post
    Hi Guys, along with designing a cnc router I am also looking to buy a milling machine.

I will use it manually prior to a CNC conversion.

I have limited space in my garage so the max sizes are the WM18 /AMAT25 /AMAT30LV size.

I have heard many good things re the Amadeal mils and them being belt driven and having a larger cutting area.

I basically have a rough idea re drivers and board but I get confused re spindle speeds.

Do you buy a seperate spindle and fit that with a VFD or do you modify the existing one. ??

Also is there a way to determine the ball screw length easy enough, and are they end machined at all ?

Where does the community purchase from ? Any recommended sellers at all ?

As I am starting from scratch I will also need to buy cutters, clamping and a machine vice so I am trying to keep the cost of items to a minimum but not hinder quality.

The machine is for hobby use only to make prototype parts in steal and aluminium.

The mill will sit on a pre built workbench.

Unfortunately I dont have space for Bridgeport sized machines.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks again

Mike
    The AMAT25LV is the machine I'd go for. (Mine is still sitting in it's crate)
    Unless you need a longer Y, then I'd go for the 30.

The 25 is closer to the Precision Matthews PM25V in terms of build. There are some subtle differences from the G0704 looking at the pdf manuals.

I'll be taking about 3 months to finish mine I reckon!!!!.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Following on from my last comment.
    Have been rebuilding the X2 which is why I hadn't got round to look at mine yet.

Now in truth I am a little stumped!?
    Just got round to un-crating my AMAT25LV and noticed the spindle center is nowhere near the table center.
    It's as though the head needs a spacer of at least 1 inch thickness fitted.

It has 185mm table movement on Y axis but with the column bellows fitted the distance between these and the spindle center is only 160mm.
    Couldn't get full 185 cut with them fitted when there's work on the table, only the 160mm is acheivable.

With the bellows removed the spindle center measures 185mm distance from the dovetails, just.
    Also the table doesn't go all the way back (you can see the brass nut hit first) and hangs right out all the way to the handle when coming forward.
    With the table as far back as it goes there is still 40mm of the table left to go to the spindle center.
    With the table full forward the spindle center hangs right off it into empty space.

Need to have a good look at this. Doesn't seem right at all.

Info on it shows it's a 1100w motor with speeds of 0-1500 & 0-3000rpm & feels pretty damn solid so isn't all bad.
    I'll be pulling it apart soon so it looks like a case of using it without the column cover bellows for now.

I'll see if I can source some longer M10 T-bolts for the head unit and add a 1 inch spacer at a later date. Hopefully it will be that simple.

I bet these size machines are all about the same. I've seen a fair few spacers put behind the head on those G0704 ones.
    May have been better off with the 30LV myself beings I need at least 180mm Y travel, hmmmm. The 2250 max rpm and the weight put me off that. Shame.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 25-11-2018 at 12:54 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dazp1976 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information