. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Little machine shop can now suck my plums!
    Just had a new 2mm flat 4fl endmill delivered.
    Out of the box and broken in 3 minutes!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_stoke View Post
    Little machine shop can now suck my plums!
    Just had a new 2mm flat 4fl endmill delivered.
    Out of the box and broken in 3 minutes!

What speeds and feed? What material?

4 flute?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    What speeds and feed? What material?

4 flute?
    Exactly this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181115-122507.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	25105

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Exactly this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181115-122507.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	25105

I wouldnt be using 4 flute for brass / alu. 3 at most, 2 is better. Did it snap on first engagement or did it cut for a bit?

I wouldnt be using 4 flute for brass / alu. 3 at most, 2 is better. Did it snap on first engagement or did it cut for a bit?
    It got this far but very aggressive. I suppose I should have dragged the feed slider down. But a calculator should be accurate no?

It got this far but very aggressive. I suppose I should have dragged the feed slider down. But a calculator should be accurate no?

From the pic, it looks like you plunged directly into the stock or did it do a helix down? If you plunged then that would be an issue, not the best way to engage a cutter into material. When I cut at new speeds I turn the feed down to 10% and then ramp up once I have done the helix down and then started to make the cuts I expect. Sound / vibration / noise is key.

From the pic, it looks like you plunged directly into the stock or did it do a helix down? If you plunged then that would be an issue, not the best way to engage a cutter into material. When I cut at new speeds I turn the feed down to 10% and then ramp up once I have done the helix down and then started to make the cuts I expect. Sound / vibration / noise is key.
    It's actually a helix entry.

It's actually a helix entry.

Material looks a bit gummy. Did it clog up the bit? Id say 4 flute is to blame here (IMHO / 2p).

Material looks a bit gummy. Did it clog up the bit? Id say 4 flute is to blame here (IMHO / 2p).
    Honestly I started with 4fl when I got the machine, this was done with 4fl 2mm a while ago. But without using the calc

To me (and the pics arent very clear) it looks like the tool lacked lubrication and/or ability to clear material fast enough. A 2 flute is more forgiving.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information