. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    hi all, i have just purchased a denford triac fanuc m/c after many years on a bridgeport interact with hh tnc 151.
    so to cut a long story short i got it with a rotary phase converter as i have not got 3 phase at home, but i will have it when i move the m/c into my premises when i am ready, so i started the m/c and messed around a little bit ran a programme for a short while all seemed ok, when i turned off the rotary converter the ammeter on it spiked to over an indicated 30amps, i switched everything off, but not before it fried the z axis amp and an input unit, so i managed to get two replacements from the bay this weekend and carefully fitted them, i checked the m/c before power on thoroughly and could find nothing obvious, so i powered the m/c again, the control turned on and came up with 4 errors one servo overload and ones for x,y,z, these boards showed a low voltage led lit, i was unable to clear these so i started fault finding, i caught the contactor overload reset button in the rotary convertor while the m/c was on and it immediately showed a pull of 30 amps and fried the z amp board i had just fitted and the x,y axis boards as well.
    i cannot keep throwing money at it but do need a m/c of this nature, so now i will be into it for at least another £1200, does anyone know of a fanuc engineer who would visit to repair the m/c?
    it really needs someone with more experience on repairing the control side than me, or do i sell it and cut my losses and replace it with another working triac?
    any advice appreciated, as i am now starting to pull my hair out or what little i have left
    the control is fanuc omb if that helps.
    i now don't know whether there is a fault with the phase convertor or an unfound problem with the control although the rotary phase convertor output meters ok i think.
    advice/help please anyone?
    mark.
    Last edited by mark35gun; 26-11-2018 at 01:50 AM.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark35gun View Post
    when i turned off the rotary converter the ammeter on it spiked to over an indicated 30amps, i switched everything off,
    Ammeter on what?

And what rotary phase converter are you using? One you've bought, or one you've made?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    hi all, i have just purchased a denford triac fanuc m/c after many years on a bridgeport interact with hh tnc 151.
    so to cut a long story short i got it with a rotary phase converter as i have not got 3 phase at home, but i will have it when i move the m/c into my premises when i am ready, so i started the m/c and messed around a little bit ran a programme for a short while all seemed ok, when i turned off the rotary converter the ammeter on it spiked to over an indicated 30amps, i switched everything off, but not before it fried the z axis amp and an input unit, so i managed to get two replacements from the bay this weekend and carefully fitted them, i checked the m/c before power on thoroughly and could find nothing obvious, so i powered the m/c again, the control turned on and came up with 4 errors one servo overload and ones for x,y,z, these boards showed a low voltage led lit, i was unable to clear these so i started fault finding, i caught the contactor overload reset button in the rotary convertor while the m/c was on and it immediately showed a pull of 30 amps and fried the z amp board i had just fitted and the x,y axis boards as well.
    i cannot keep throwing money at it but do need a m/c of this nature, so now i will be into it for at least another £1200, does anyone know of a fanuc engineer who would visit to repair the m/c?
    it really needs someone with more experience on repairing the control side than me, or do i sell it and cut my losses and replace it with another working triac?
    any advice appreciated, as i am now starting to pull my hair out or what little i have left
    the control is fanuc omb if that helps.
    i now don't know whether there is a fault with the phase convertor or an unfound problem with the control although the rotary phase convertor output meters ok i think.
    advice/help please anyone?
    mark.
    Its fairly easy to convert a Triac to single phase. On mine, the only thing actually running on 3 phase (once you look at the drawings) was the monitor and the coolant pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Its fairly easy to convert a Triac to single phase. On mine, the only thing actually running on 3 phase (once you look at the drawings) was the monitor and the coolant pump.
    ammeter on the phase convertor, its a bought one 8hp, i just forget the breed at the moment
    i believe there are 3 phases to the drive axis boards so single phase isn't possible
    it does seem that if the power off sequence is not followed to the letter it will lunch the electronics

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    ammeter on the phase convertor, its a bought one 8hp, i just forget the breed at the moment
    i believe there are 3 phases to the drive axis boards so single phase isn't possible
    it does seem that if the power off sequence is not followed to the letter it will lunch the electronics
    Its worth checking. I had an original servo triac, it was all single phase powered.

ok not 100% on these by any means but i have definitely got 3 phases going to the axis boards
    no coolant pump on it, as i don't use coolant really and no tool changer either as i like it without and for what i want i don't need one, just something else to go wrong

ok not 100% on these by any means but i have definitely got 3 phases going to the axis boards
    no coolant pump on it, as i don't use coolant really and no tool changer either as i like it without and for what i want i don't need one, just something else to go wrong
    Some pics will be good. Some Triacs have wiring diagrams with them, do you have any you can scan / put here for review?

no i'm afraid not, no wiring diagram to speak of, but it is factory fanuc om, and un messed about with, i know that before i had the last meltdown i had low voltage alarms on x,y z, axis boards, i will try and post some pics later on today

no i'm afraid not, no wiring diagram to speak of, but it is factory fanuc om, and un messed about with, i know that before i had the last meltdown i had low voltage alarms on x,y z, axis boards, i will try and post some pics later on today
    Thanks. Ill do some quick googling but pictures will help.

odd thing is the guy i bought it off had ran it for 11 years with no problems with this set up,
    now here's the thing, he disconnected the cabling from the phase convertor to facilitate moving the m/c and marked up all cables and where they go, i was very careful to re wire exactly as marked, but if he has made a mistake................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information