. .
    Hi

Can anybody recommend a book that covers the basic information into getting started with cnc machines...…..the operation of, not the building of a machine
    Last edited by Tony B; 09-12-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
    Hi

Can anybody recommend a book that covers the basic information into getting started with cnc machines...…..the operation of, not the building of a machine
    If you can cope with all the advertising then look at this:- https://www.cnccookbook.com/diy-cnc-...rted-cookbook/ Its a good start.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    CNC cookbook has some good info, but I always found it pretty patchy/inconsistent, and that was before it came ad central.

It's probably best to just ask questions here, and we can point you in the direction of specific bits of info.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

This is quite a good starter book. Not much depth but helpful for the newbie https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milling-Wor...words=cnc+book

Many thanks for the replies.

I had a quick look at the cnc cookbook and agree about the ads. It's a bit tiresome but I'll chip away with it for the time being

Mikey - Is that book just concentrating on metalwork? I don't know enough to know if it makes any difference, but I will be mainly doing 2D shapes in timber/ply/mdf. It's very unlikely that I will be making shapes in metal

I would recommend CNC Milling in the workshop, by Marcus Bowman.

Oops! Did not immediately notice the above post.

Making 3D shapes is very similar regardless of material, some of the data you set in your CAM like Stepover (width of cut) Spindle Speed, Depth of Cut, Feed Speed or Feed Per Flute will be material specific and that will deal with the material of your choice.

What you need is -
    (1) 3D CAD - to load/make/modify the models you want to cut
    and
    (2) CAM to generate (usually with input from you) the tool paths your machine will follow to cut your part.

For your CAM you will need a Post Processor which is appropriate for the Motion Controller on your machine, examples of Motion Controllers are Linux CNC and Mach3/4 which run on a PC, Stand Alone Motion Controllers start with the hobby DDCSV 2.1 and similar which are small low cost units under £200, all the way up to Fanuc and Siemens units at several thousand pounds.

Books and guides are, in my experience, a less than optimum use of your time. Much of what you need to learn will be dependent on hands-on experience with your chosen machine, motion controller, CAD and CAM.
    Although once you learn one system the process of transferring to another is a lesser learning curve there is little point reading about and learning the features of a system other than the one with which you will be working.

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 15-12-2018 at 11:08 AM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thread Information