. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Why don't you just epoxy level both axis and you are done? Here is a good example and there's a lot more information about it on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Why don't you just epoxy level both axis and you are done? Here is a good example and there's a lot more information about it on this forum.
    Epoxy yes.

But... a bolted frame. Is it to be moved a lot?

So is it rigid and tight fit so to be able to take apart and together exactly the same ?

If there is any room for error .. it is no use, not really

Maybe a dowelpin system might work to get the same fit every time.

Btw my welded steel frame had +/- 1.5mm @ 1850mm distortion after welding.
    Warping and twisting in all directions.
    Needed about 7mm epoxy thickness to level out, and have at least 4mm at the high spots.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

I cannot see why and how would you disassemble and/or move a 4 meter long cnc. I see it bolted down on a thick concrete floor in its final position and then epoxy levelled.

Grtz Bert, in your place I would have poured two layers of resin. For let's say a minimum 2% of resin curing shrinkage at your 3 mm thickness difference you've got a 0.06 mm final level error. It is not a lot but it could be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    I cannot see why and how would you disassemble and/or move a 4 meter long cnc. I see it bolted down on a thick concrete floor in its final position and then epoxy levelled.

Grtz Bert, in your place I would have poured two layers of resin. For let's say a minimum 2% of resin curing shrinkage at your 3 mm thickness difference you've got a 0.06 mm final level error. It is not a lot but it could be avoided.
    Hi paulus.v

yes. i agree.. 0.06 .. it might need another pour..
    I hope i can work at that precision level and size any time soon and notice problems in my build.

I am gonna do a laser beam check in a few weeks..

On topic.
    If it is at its final position and all diagonals and braces are welded ... go for it. Epoxy level.

Grtz.. Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Hi,
    Yes a 4m CNC is not really the size of Carry on luggage. But it's meant to be shipped in a container. In near future. Yes and I am planning to use dowle to reassemble it. On it's next destination I plan to use Epoxy to get a better precision. You think it will be a big issue once I applied Epoxy to reship it in three years?

Sent from my MI 6X using Tapatalk

If the machine is a router,the first cut will be skimming the spoilboard flat.The surface will be determined by whether the tracks are straight and in the same plane when viewed from the side.If your concern is about the amount that the beam of the gantry sags by as the weight of the Z axis moves,build some extra support.If you truly need accuracy,as opposed to resolution and repeatability then your project is probably outside the realms of what a homebuilt machine will ever be capable of.As an example;I have known an apparent increase of 0.006" of tool length as the machine went from workshop temperature to constant operating temperature.The high end machining centres will deal with this sort of thing.The price reflects the fact.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information