Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
DMM sales are always very quick to respond.
Their tech support, not so quick. There have a been a couple guys using KFlops that have had issues. One just couldn't get a drive to tune in analogue mode until he fitted their suggested mains filter, yet all the other drives were fine without the filter, and the issue moved with the drive, not the wiring.
Somebody else blew a drive up within seconds of turning it on, which was apparently due to being over-voltage, and due to them not fitting the recommended mains filter they wouldn't warranty it, yet the other drives never failed.
Plus they use capacitive encoders.

Their big advantage as you've discovered is they've specced the motors so they're far more likely to be a drop in replacement for old stepper motor systems.

Personally if cost was the main concern, I'd opt for cheap Chinese.
What tooth profile are the pulleys?
Hi,

The pulleys are 12 (X and Y) and 13 (Z) respectively. H pitch. Beltingonline are telling me they can have them made to order but warned that they will be pricy (I need to send them some pics) as I've suggested that maybe I just bore them out and install a grubscrew.

In terms of costs, sure, I dont want to spend more money than I need but I could get this machine running on steppers for a lot less money, that's not the point here.

If the DMM stuff isnt much better or doesnt offer more than perhaps an easier fitment, then I might as well save the money and use that for a better touchscreen / PC whatever. I'm not trying to cheap out on the build but dont see value in paying for something that doesnt offer better. Of course the law of diminishing returns persists too.

As an example I have Panasonic drives and motors on Thor and cheaper Chinese stuff on my old Triac. The Triac worked OK but no doubt the Panasonic stuff is better. The only reason I bought them was that I got some stuff at good prices from an Ebay seller. I wont pay RRP or similar for Panasonic.

I can get away with a 750W system, been avoiding it due to mounting concerns, bracketry might be OK, motor shaft diameter and length are the main concerns. One guy on Youtube has basically extended his motor shafts to suit.