. .
    Hi Guys and greetings from sunny Birmingham, UK

I'm hoping one of you will have some vital information I need.

A good while ago, I inherited the aforementioned machine from my Father-in-law, since died, because it frightened him some - it was making a funny noise and smell.

A brief investigation at the time indicated lots of heat on the control box and an intermittent operation of the steppers. I didn't have any time to go any further, so I oiled it up and packaged away.

Now I've retired, I'd like to get it out and sort it .. ..
    I don't fancy trying to diagnose and repair the control box, so I've bought a Controller board and motor driver boards to build my own system.

I have a problem because aside from some Chinese hieroglyphics I don't understand, there are no markings on either steppers or spindle motor. I think the spindle motor is likely to be 300Watts and there is a code on one of the steppers which could mean 1.8deg (200 steps) and 2 amps.

Does anybody have a suggestion of what voltage to supply to the motors please ?

Thanks

S

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    If it is the basic 300W DC spindle (they often do have a label, but it'll be where the motor gets clamped), then IIRC the control box ran around 24VDC. It's likely the original controller ran using the older TB6560 driver chips, which were only good for up to 40VDC, so these boxes generally ran a good bit below that to try and improve reliability.

I run the motors on mine from a ~45VDC supply, but they do get a bit toasty once they've been running for a while (the current is actually the key factor, as they'll only see high voltage when running at high speed). I'd say aim for 24-36VDC, as that will give reasonable performance for these machines. You'll likely soon realise the shortfalls of the machine, and a lower than ideal voltage is not likely to be one of them!
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Hi m_c

Thanks for your response and some useful information.
    I was thinking that 24vdc was probably a good place to start .. … … . .

Yes I've read enough reviews of the machine to realise the shortfalls are plentiful but, if I can get it to run all I want to use it for is milling PCB's in pursuit of my electronics hobby.

When they made me fingers were out of stock, they used Sainsburys' pork sausages so SMD is out of the question which means there is a reasonable margin for variation or error ! :)

Thanks again
    Last edited by Jupiter; 22-12-2018 at 10:08 PM.

this thread on cnczone could be helpful

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/chine...48748-cnc.html

John

Thread Information