. .
    I'm familiar with checking the tension by prodding or twisting the belt, but does anyone have a proper figure in Newtons as to what it should typically be please? (for 10mm or 16mm AT5 belt on 24 ish tooth pulleys). I need to calculate springs for an auto-tensioner, and also want to make sure I don't exceed radial load limits on the bearings. Thanks

Manufacturer's data sheets should give this data.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The most accurate method for timing belt tension is resonance, followed by deflection.

I'm pretty sure the Gates belt calc gives tension figures, but I've not used it for a couple of years.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

So I went and googled, and eventually found a data sheet with some maths in it and the recommended figures for pre-tension are suprisingly high, something like 1/3 to 1/2 of the full running tension for a 2 pulley system, more if you have multiple pulleys. This means that for a 4Nm Nema24 stepper and 27 tooth AT5 pulleys (which are quite big) you're looking in the region of 60...90N, which is more of a radial force than some steppers of that size will be happy with: and with smaller pulleys things would be worse.

With CNC precision I don't bother with tension, I simply put the wheels to the correct separation and it just works. If using a belt for linear positioning then you should know what tension you require and make sure you have enough teeth engaged to carry it.

Thread Information