. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a beginner and planning to buy a stock of CNC bits for wood. Where should I buy it. I find really cheap ones on bangood. But they don't offer any data about feeds and speeds. Any ideas?

Sent from my MI 6X using Tapatalk

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    The feeds and speeds are all just guides - you'll dial in your own settings based on the materials that you're cutting, spindle run-out (hopefully minimal), machine rigidity etc. I wouldn't worry about what a re-seller 'recommends' too much. Since you're starting out, grabbing yourself a bunch of cheap Chinese tools isn't that bad an idea - you're going to break a fair few of 'em..! The problem with the really cheap tooling is that the carbide isn't as high quality. They dull quickly and aren't as strong as what you'd be buying at the high end - having said that, I use pretty cheap tooling in a non-production hobbyist capacity and I'm perfectly happy with how they perform.

I buy from the following two sources here in the UK - not sure what the shipping situation would be out to Anguilla..!

APT
    GBR

Yes - these suppliers are more oriented towards tools for cutting metal - however, I find that the single and twin fluted carbide tools that they sell perform very well in hardwood. You could also try these guys - but the money's a bit more serious now:

Wealden

If I were you, though - I'd grab a bunch of inexpensive cutters to mess about with first.

Wal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Oh sorry location is not Antigua ;-).

I guess it was randomly picked by me. I am from Germany so location shouldn't be an issue. I will then follow your advice. The APT shop seems to be a good middle way to thae really cheap ones from Bangood. I think I will buy a mix between both. So I can play with the ones from Bangood and then use APT ones.

Maybe an additional question. As my first task will be to mill my MDF spoilboard. Dimension will be 3,8m x 1,2m. The spoilboard bits especially have a huge variety in prices from 4- 250$. I think as I have a bigger table I should use a bit with at least an Inch diameter? Any recommendations which one is ok and doesn't break the bank?
    Last edited by feldah; 07-01-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feldah View Post
    Oh sorry location is not Antigua ;-).

Maybe an additional question. As my first task will be to mill my MDF spoilboard. Dimension will be 3,8m x 1,2m. The spoilboard bits especially have a huge variety in prices from 4- 250$. I think as I have a bigger table I should use a bit with at least an Inch diameter? Any recommendations which one is ok and doesn't break the bank?
    You can change the location as that helps others when suggesting things.

I use one of these https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Surface-Trim.html
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >I use one of these https://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Surface-Trim.html

+1 on this. A decent cutter for the money. Stay shallow with it and don't run it at 24K..!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

I am a beginner and planning to buy a stock of CNC bits for wood. Where should I buy it. I find really cheap ones on bangood. But they don't offer any data about feeds and speeds. Any ideas?

Hi Feldah
    I'm in Austria and get most of my cutters from https://www.sorotec.de/shop/Cutting-...END-Mill-WOOD/ they are not the cheapest but not too expensive and good quality. Buy cheap chinese ones to experiment with and use the better ones for proper work.

Cheers

Andrew

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:

For my spoilboard cleaning I bought this one. I've got a few other Arden tools as well. Not cheap but very good quality, made in Taiwan.

I bought before a similar one but cheap Chinese make and after surfacing a 20x10 cm piece of pinewood it went blunt. I think the inserts were just mild steel, not even HSS or something. Or they tried to bind the tungsten carbide particles with super glue? :)
    Last edited by paulus.v; 09-01-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: edited the ebay link

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulus.v For This Useful Post:

Thank you guys. That's already a good selection. And good to see that I don't have to buy a 25$ bit as my first router bit. I started to get nervous that it was that expensive ;-)

I have edited the ebay link as the one I pointed has ended while writing the post. Not to be confused with the cheap Chinese yellow bits that ebay suggests! The Arden bits are sold only by one vendor, bestones2010

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    I have edited the ebay link as the one I pointed has ended while writing the post. Not to be confused with the cheap Chinese yellow bits that ebay suggests! The Arden bits are sold only by one vendor, bestones2010
    Oh thanks. I just saw the Chinese ones. How long do these Arden bits stay sharp. As the expensive ones have exchangeable blades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information