. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi i was wondering if anyone has a working invertor that would power a Dual Speed motor on a manual Lathe.
    The lathe is a Chinese lathe with the following details on the motor. as you can see it is at 2.4 Kw on high speed so i would think that is is a differt type of invertor as this motor is a Dual speed motor.

Series Multispeed Three Phase Asyncronous Motor fitted to a Manual Lathe

Type YD112M-8/4 –TH
    INS.CL= B
    Connection Δ/2Y
    1.5 /2.4 Kw
    4.6- 4.9 A Rating: S1
    50 Hz
    Rpm 700/1410
    415 V
    IP 44/46
    Capacity 2KVA

if anyone has any Ideas i would appreciate this.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Id just pick one off Ebay. Loads of Hyuanyang's available.

That said, not sure the complexities of a dual speed motor ...... perhaps someone smarter can comment :-)

Be careful - that's a 415V motor, not a 240V motor that the usual invertors will drive directly. You need a rather different invertor to run a 415V three-phase motor from a 240V single-phase supply as it needs the capability to increase voltage. Possibly something like this.

Some dual speed motors are just not suited to inverters, check if anyone else - Google search - has converted the make & model you have.
    It may be cheaper and quicker to re-motor and vfd at the same time.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

You say that the motor can be wired up in star and delta but you only list 415v, this will be a dual voltage motor, what is the voltage? If it isn't 220v three phase then you won't be able to use a vfd. Can you take a photo of the motor data plate?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scooterist007 View Post
    If it isn't 220v three phase then you won't be able to use a vfd.
    Variable Frequency Drives are available in a wide variety of input/output voltage configurations so your statement is, strictly speaking, incorrect.
    You can buy a VFD with 240v single phase input which generates 380/415 3 phase output, they are more expensive than the kind you are assuming were the only type available so if you'd said "then you won't be able to use a cheap vfd" then you'd have been on the money :D

- Nick

I have never seen a vfd that you connect up to a 240v single phase supply to 415v three phase, I am a industrial engineer and have never come across one, I am sometimes wrong though! The only thing I have come across to power up single phase to 415v three phase is a phase converter, there are two types, a static variety which is not a true three phase supply, or a rotary variety which uses motors to generate a three phase supply.
    But a vfd? I don't think they exist.

I have never seen a vfd that you connect up to a 240v single phase supply to 415v three phase, I am a industrial engineer and have never come across one, I am sometimes wrong though! The only thing I have come across to power up single phase to 415v three phase is a phase converter, there are two types, a static variety which is not a true three phase supply, or a rotary variety which uses motors to generate a three phase supply.
    But a vfd? I don't think they exist.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-...r=522061402594
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Another alternative, which is often used even on 7kw+ spindle motor applications, and is common in industry where 3 phase is not available or feasible is a transformer to achieve a higher input voltage and a VFD.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    You say that the motor can be wired up in star and delta but you only list 415v, this will be a dual voltage motor
    Dual speed motors were fairly common in old machinery, and were fixed voltage - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahl...changing_motor

With a VFD you would have to be careful you didn't change speed with the motor running, as it's likely to make even the best of VFDs fail (either fault out, or more likely just go pop!) with the current/phase synchronising involved when changing speeds.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information