. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I used to have a link to a manufacturer, who I am pretty sure was based in Austria, who would supply the basic machine to your spec, ready for a CNC conversion.
    You could select a few different sizes of machines (IIRC the biggest mill being around X3 size), and they had options for dovetail ways/linear guides, along with acme or ballscrews.

The website was pretty basic, with only the basic details listed, along with prices.

Does this ring any bells for anybody?
    I've tried numerous searches, but I've so far not found the site.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    And in true Sod's law fashion, the first link I clicked on after posting this provided the answer. It's Klippfeld - http://www.klippfeld.at/ Although it looks like they've stopped doing (or at least don't list) the bare machines anymore.

Don't know if these people are any help? German rather than Austrian, but they make both conventional and CNC versions of their lathes/mills.

I'd forgotten about those round way things. They always strike me as being a prime candidate for resonating and rubbish finish, and that's before you consider the lack of adjustment once things wear a bit.

Ideally I'm looking for something with linear guides, and I was wondering if it would be more cost effective to buy something already with them, rather than convert something.
    At the moment my primitive plans are based around a Clarke CL430, as it's about the size of machine I'm looking for, and I happen to have a CL500M (same machine, but with a milling head) so I know it has a nice flat topped dovetail way that would be near perfect for bolting linear guides to. Most manufacturers seem to be using either single or double V ways on this size of machine now, which is good for a manual machine, but not for when you want something you can butcher to eliminate play as best as possible!

Thread Information