. .
    Hello Forum Folks.

I want to build a CNC router to make plastic injection moulds - certainly from aluminium and hopefully from stainless steel.
    These would be less than 30cm square and maybe 20mm thick.

If anyone knows of an obviously superior path to take to this destination, I'd appreciate you pointing to it for me.
    I'm in Bedford, so if anyone's local to me, I'd be happy to meet for a chat.

Cheers,
    Chris

You are describing a requirement for a Mill, not a Router, even some lighter weight mills will prove lacking in mass and rigidity for Stainless.
    I would look at a CNC conversion of a suitable milling machine,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    You are describing a requirement for a Mill, not a Router, even some lighter weight mills will prove lacking in mass and rigidity for Stainless.
    I would look at a CNC conversion of a suitable milling machine,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Thanks for your reply Nick.

I've seen things like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRf7...wsysRD&index=5
    He's upgraded a cheap Chinese engraver and it's now cutting steel. I don't have his skills, but I was thinking there might be another path to a similar steel-cutting machine.

No mate, that's utterly wank, it's struggling with brass and sounds like a cheap shit router that's being asked to do far more than it's physically capable of.

There is no substitute for Mass and Rigidity, for decent finishes on steel parts you are best off with a CNC mill conversion, seriously, I shit you not!
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Nick is on the money.
    With a good quality router, you could probably manage aluminium to a good enough standard for moulds, but good quality certainly doesn't come from cheap Chinese.
    Stainless is likely to kill even a good quality router type of machine, as it really does need rigidity. Without rigidity, you'll quickly learn the pitfalls of how easily stainless work hardens.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I'm a bodger on a budget, but all my miserly strings sing in unison - No Way!!

Thread Information