. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa2001 View Post
    Thats with stepper motors correct? I might give him a bell.
    I might by the sherline mill with mounts and stepper motors and just use it manually for a while then fit a kit like the one you posted.
    Yep, that price includes steppers.

Roy deals by email only, don't be put off by it as it will be worth it. I have been and met him when I collected my stuff as he is only about half an hour down the road from me and he is a top bloke. Very helpful and certainly knows what he is talking about.

Ok thanks for your time and patience, really appreciate it. I'll do some more thinking which way to go and probably be back with more questions....lol.

Thanks again.

Hi again. I contacted Roy at cnc systems, he said he could sort me out with a ready made kit So thats another thing sorted. Just need to sort out the mach 3 software which i just downloaded. Looks complicated. I do 3D graphics and have Cinema 4d and Rhino 2 which output DXF files. Is that what the cnc software uses?

Glad to hear that Roy has sorted you out.

OK, Mach3 is just a stepper motor control program and a very good one. It needs to be programmed using G codes which is a industry standard that is used worldwide, so you have 2 options -

1 - Teach yourself how to write G code and write the programs by hand. I still use this method for simple jobs.

2 - Get yourself a CAD/CAM program which you can import your DXF's and certain format of 3D designs into, the CAM software will then write you the G Code program. Have a look at http://www.artcam.com/ for starters, should give you an idea.

I have been using CNC's for quite a few years now and up until recently i used to write all my own programs by hand, now times have changed and using the correct software makes writing G code much easier. Now I do all my modelling in Solid Edge and then load the model into either FeatureCam or ArtCam depending on the type of job I am doing, you then tell it what tools to use and the how you want to machine the job then the software will create the G Code.

I suggest you teach yourself the G Code basics first and get to understand how it works, google is your friend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information