. .
    Hello All!
    I'm new to the forum and as a Mechanical Design engineer who has been asked by my new company to research and recommend a new machine for our shop, I am looking for some help!
    Right now we lose a lot of time transferring parts between the lathe and mill, so I think we need a turning center/lathe with driven tools to help with flats, non central drilling/tapping and radial holes. It needs to be fairly compact as the shop is not that large as we mainly make prototype parts and smaller batches (~10 off) for production. Component size it probably a max of 100mm diameter and 400mm long. I have looked at the Hass ST-10Y. Something like the Hurco TM6i seems close, but doesn't have live tooling.
    Any thoughts or recommended lines of inquiry would much appreciated.
    Cheers

As you have not had any replies yet...when i get a a bit of free time I can give you more detailed info.

Basically there are scores upon scores of machines out there that could fit the bill. The first thing you could do is decide if a C axis with live tooling will be adequate or if you need a full blown Y axis machine. Google and you tube will help you learn what they are if this is something you are not familiar with.

The other thing you need to decide before you go any further is Budget. This is a crucial factor before you even look, second hand will be cheaper but often you get what you pay for. What kind of cash are they looking at spending 30k or 250 k (and they go a lot higher than that in price) It really depends what you want...single spindle, single turret. Twin spindle, single turret. Twin turret (which is generally automatically twin spindle). There are even 3 turret machines out there and possibly even 4 if you look hard enough.

Decide what your budget is.
    Decide axis are required
    Decide machine configuration that suits you best.

Then it will narrow down where to look.
    Last edited by spluppit; 22-01-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks for your reply @spluppit. You are absolutely right, the cost is what is the center of this particular exercise and I should have put it in the original post. Basically, can we get a machine that increases our efficiency for our budget. We probably only have a budget of 30-50k, so if it turns out what I'm looking for is closer to 250k, it's better for us to understand that sooner rather than later and change our tact.
    With that budget in mind, I think we could be more productive with the Y axis, but could get by with the C-axis.
    In regards to the number/style of spindles and turrets, I understand the price goes up the more we'd want, so it may come back to what our budget can get. But I would probably say our preference would be a twin spindle machine and a single turret probably would be fine.

The short answer is, no you can't get what you want for 30 - 50k. That budget would only cover a 2 axis machine, at about the 50k mark, of course prices vary pending manufacturer and machine spec. For a C axis single spindle, single turret you are looking in the region of 80k of course this is only a very crude guide and numbers are ball parks. More spindles and turrets and the price rockets because those machines are true one hit machining.

A good channel to follow is MTD CNC on Youtube. They cover new machines on the market, offers from suppliers and end user interviews, there is a lot of info to be had from these vids but i can't say i rate the majority of there interviewers. It comes under 'the could do better category' but if you can ignore that part as i have, then the info is good.

I can rattle off a load of manufactures but without the budget you may need to re-evaluate what you are looking for. Second hand is your only real option in that budget range unless you get really lucky of course.
    Last edited by spluppit; 24-01-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Thank you for the help. This is exactly the kind of direction I was looking for. We will have to either come up with more money or re-evaluate our needs. I will check out the MTD CNC channel as well.

Thread Information