. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello, new member here, I hope you can help me, I currently cut out 7" vinyl records on a scroll saw, but I feel I need to take this hobby to the next level, I have seen some brilliant cut out designs made from 7" vinyl singles, but there no way that they have been done a scroll saw, so I am guessing that they have been done on a CNC machine. I have no knowledge what so ever on this subject, I need advice on what type of machine i need, software etc, all I know is that my working are would need to be around 200mm x 200mm, I have seen a few chinese machines, was not sure whether to start with one of those, any help and advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Whatever you do don't buy a Chinese router and expect it to work without you putting in enough time to have earned far more money than you spent in the first place, some are OK, many are plain shonky!

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Hi Paul welcome to the forum!

Is buying a machine your only option or would you be comfortable building your own machine?

Typically there is a piece of software that controls the machine (Machine Control Software) and software you would use to design and create parts in (CAD & CAM Software), there are many options for both and both will be a learning curve of their own, there is no getting away from that.

Have a look around both sections and when you're ready with questions don't be afraid to ask them, we have a build log section as well and this is another good place to start and gives a good indication as to what is involved going the self built route.

Nick is right about the Chinese machines, however with some TLC they can and do work but you shouldn't expect too much from those machines, however they do have their place in getting your feet wet and giving you something to learn with.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 12-02-2019 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammar
    .Me

Hi Lee, thank you for your reply, I would be happy to build a machine, always up for challenge, i have been reading on the software and how it generates the codes to talk to the machine etc, to be honest I have been reading quite a bit about CNC in general, but is a bit of a minefield, I would guess that building a machine would be better as it will give me the spec I need to the job I want, and with the help of the forum, point me in the right direction of the parts to build it.

So, over the last few days i have been browsing the internet and looking at YouTube videos, one particular machine has grabbed my attention, it is the Shapeoko 3, this seems to have the spec I am after, could anyone tell me if they are any good or a better machine with the same spec. Many thanks

I have no direct experience of that machine but they have been around a while and there are plenty in use. The rails are V rollers which is fairly low end and they use a router which is noisy.

However for what you want I’m going to say they will cope fine.

Now for a little more money you can build a much more capable machine yourself but you sound like you want to buy something.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I have no direct experience of that machine but they have been around a while and there are plenty in use. The rails are V rollers which is fairly low end and they use a router which is noisy.

However for what you want I’m going to say they will cope fine.

Now for a little more money you can build a much more capable machine yourself but you sound like you want to buy something.
    Thank for your reply, I am happy to have a go at building one, but I wouldn't know where to start, I have looked at a few build threads, all seems very daunting, but I am sure there is plenty of advice on here, there would be a million questions I would need to ask.
    Last edited by Paul53; 15-02-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Paul,

Understand your intended use-cases - if all you are doing is cutting abstract shapes out of old vinyl records (I did have to google to understand what I think you're doing!) then you can expect a rather more relaxed set of requirements than some of the behemoth machines on this site and build logs. Once you go beyond vinyl onto harder materials then the requirements for the machine build ramp up rapidly - and your experience/satisfaction on an inadequate machine would drop equally rapidly.

For the use-case that you've expressed (and only that!), a cheap Chinese router would likely match your needs, and is a quick way to dip your toes. As others have said they are typically of poor build and specification - the former allows you to understand a bit about machine limitations, and the second shouldn't limit your ability to cut disks. Don't be afraid to consider 2nd-hand particularly if you can rack-up at the seller's door with a blank in hand and demand a demo. Consider your working environment - if indoors near the wife then you'd be clever to avoid the air-cooled spindles (which include the appropriation of wood-working routers)... the noise they make would attract some attention and look closer at the water cooled spindles. Look at the tooling that you'd be using - likely fine carbide cutters which would require a high rotational speed - again, a Chinese water cooled spindle sits well here, but you're not looking at high cutting loads - the entry level 800w spindle would suit.

Much depends on your budget - cutting your cloth, so to speak - from low-end scroll saw to high-end cnc you're talking of costs escalating by several orders of magnitude.

Suggestions to build your own - this can be a good intro to a machine and as your demands are pretty straight forward you could achieve this without any exotic tooling or machinery (get anything that your need machining cut from members here). You could match the machine to your needs - and likely end up with something broadly equivalent to the Chinese routers - although probably better suited to your required working area.

Is this the kind of thing you are talking about ? these all seem to have been done with a laser.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...CAMQCg#imgrc=_

Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    Is this the kind of thing you are talking about ? these all seem to have been done with a laser.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=la...CAMQCg#imgrc=_
    Yes, that is exactly the thing I want to do, but I believe that when a laser is used, the vinyl gives off toxic fumes, so I assuming they must have a good extraction system, here is a link to someone using a cnc router on a Shapeoko 3 xxl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGyIx3pe3z4
    Last edited by Paul53; 16-02-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information