. .

Thread: Game on!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I still like the CSMIO IP-M with Mach3.

The real benefit of the controller support for axis slaving/homing (e.g IP-S) is homing on index. Homing on index has almost 100% accuracy/repeatability of homing/squaring as it doesn't rely on the sensors accuracy but you need motors with encoders, e.g servo drives with index pulse..

Otherwise I find the software homing/squaring quite reliable and do not see any real benefit for a homing sequence performed by the controller.

It is even possible to home on index with Mach3 with a simple macro. Not sure about gantry squaring on index but it may be doable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Be interested to hear how you get on with UCCNC. At least it's a supported piece of software, unlike Mach3!
    There will come a time when even UCCNC and older controllers will be unsupported as technology/software PC's etc moves on. This is basically what's happened to Mach3 along with Art fennerty selling the company to Brian who took a different approach to development and marketing, a wrong one IMO.
    That said Mach3 is still a very capable piece of software and the Cslabs controllers are high quality. Cannot really blame Cslabs for Mach3 or for not developing for mach3 anymore and they do fully support Mach4 which I'm told is much more robust that it was and lot of the bugs have been ironed out.! . . .I'll have to maybe revisit it.? They also have there own software which is still a work in progress.

Also on a side note and in Mach3 defense and to some degree Cslabs regards MPG's. It's no surprise that some are having problems when using MPG's plug-ins from other company's with Cslabs controllers. They do offer an MPG module that works perfectly with the controller and obviously they are not going to help or support another company's products at the cost of not selling there own, who would.? This problem is not a mach3 problem, it's the controllers plug-in who is in charge.!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    I'm slightly worried however by the multiple updates to UCCNC which are released without any accompanying release notes or change history. :( Feels like the developers are starting to get into some bad habits.
    Why.? I don't get why people feel the need to update software just for updating sakes when they don't have any issues.! . . . . If it's working ok leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Why.? I don't get why people feel the need to update software just for updating sakes when they don't have any issues.! . . . . If it's working ok leave it alone.
    Well that's exactly my point. If I have an issue, I should be able to look through the release notes to see if its been addressed in a newer version. I shouldn't have to try pot-luck installs.

Maybe there's a new feature I really want? How would I know if there are no release notes...

Maybe I know there is a new feature, but they've removed some other functionality I use... again how do you know?

I've worked as a software engineer before, and release notes are a basic requirement for any quality product. It makes me worry what other shortcuts they're taking, which might not lead to problems right away, but a couple of years down the line could make a project unsustainable to work on, and means your code base becomes a buggy mess (which I gather is what happened to later versions of Mach3?)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyUK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Well that's exactly my point. If I have an issue, I should be able to look through the release notes to see if its been addressed in a newer version. I shouldn't have to try pot-luck installs.

Maybe there's a new feature I really want? How would I know if there are no release notes...

Maybe I know there is a new feature, but they've removed some other functionality I use... again how do you know?
    Yes, Agree on that side of things your 100% correct regards release notes. I wasn't actually referring so much to that but rather peoples need to update for the sake of updating. Just don't get the need if things are working ok.!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I wasn't actually referring so much to that but rather peoples need to update for the sake of updating. Just don't get the need if things are working ok.!
    +1 Perhaps Microsoft (mighty offenders in this area) could do with some Yorkshire wisdom!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

After much swearing at the rather arkward connector I've got the spindle installed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1290008.JPG 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	27231

Looks like a nice tidy job!

*goes back to my spindle and gets some cable braid out*

To be honest, it wasn't just a desire for neatness :blush: Having painted myself into a corner with feasible belt paths on the Z-axis I came up with the idler-with-the-cable-through-the centre idea. Problem was, the cooling pipes tended to have a bit more friction through the bushing than I was comfy with - the cable braid is a lot more slippy and makes everything move a lot more freely .

The spindle of course needs cooling water. After a long and fruitless search on the Bay of fleas for a suitable flat sided metal pot, I made one out of a bit of 100x100x2 ali tube that's been at the back of the workshop for ages. Add a pump + flow switch and everything's cool
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1300010.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	27232

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    After much swearing at the rather arkward connector I've got the spindle installed
    You might want to add strain relief to that, it's just a short circuit waiting to happen. Also not a good idea to pump heat into the wire which is what the water pipes will do, esp on long jobs.

Strange Z-axis design. Why did you feel the need to use 2 ball-screws and have the linear rails side-mounted.?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information