. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you made a decent spin window that wasn't outrageously priced you might sell a few.

You can spot outrageously or divisively priced products by the complete lack of pricing on web sites, "bespoke products" is often used as an excuse but it simply doesn't wash as a couple of pricing examples can always easily be offered, unless they've never sold anything! :D

I don't even bite and run away from "Email for a quote" suppliers who are obviously fishing to see how much they can relieve you of, and if they are not they should realise that's what it looks like and it puts some people right off ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Oddly I was pricing up Perspex type panels yesterday evening to make a 'splash' container for my Bridgeport. Something like this:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splash_guard.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	25718

Materials or a solution for that might be of interest.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

4. Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you made a decent spin window that wasn't outrageously priced you might sell a few.

You can spot outrageously or divisively priced products by the complete lack of pricing on web sites, "bespoke products" is often used as an excuse but it simply doesn't wash as a couple of pricing examples can always easily be offered, unless they've never sold anything! :D

I don't even bite and run away from "Email for a quote" suppliers who are obviously fishing to see how much they can relieve you of, and if they are not they should realise that's what it looks like and it puts some people right off ;-)
    Thanks I will advise my colleagues of the feedback ref to spin windows, especially given our in-house capacity to waterjet cut complex shapes.

Ref to pricing, if all machines had standardised sizing, we could provide transparent pricing for these. However given machines are often dissimilar in terms of window specification, and due to commercial sensitivity, we're reluctant to openly publish pricing.

Finally, I can assure you that we try and work with the customer to provide a quote which best suits their requirement/budget.
    Last edited by ChrisF Tecdur; 25-04-2019 at 09:26 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF Tecdur For This Useful Post:

6. Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Oddly I was pricing up Perspex type panels yesterday evening to make a 'splash' container for my Bridgeport. Something like this:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splash_guard.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	25718

Materials or a solution for that might be of interest.
    Interesting, I would like to see if we could do something for you.

What are your dimensions (W x H x T) and can you advise or pm me the pricing you arrived at yesterday?
    Last edited by ChrisF Tecdur; 24-04-2019 at 02:30 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF Tecdur For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF Tecdur View Post
    Interesting, I would like to see if we could do something for you.

What are your dimensions (W x H x T) and can you advise or pm me the pricing you arrived at yesterday?
    Hi, ill measure up tonight and get this across to you. I might have the table dimensions in a document somewhere but will need to look them up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaz For This Useful Post:

10. Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi, ill measure up tonight and get this across to you. I might have the table dimensions in a document somewhere but will need to look them up.
    Thanks, are you open to receiving two quotes; poly and glass-poly?

If you can advise your other quotes too that would help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF Tecdur For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF Tecdur View Post
    Thanks, are you open to receiving two quotes; poly and glass-poly?

If you can advise your other quotes too that would help.
    Yep, whatever you think will work. I didn't get quotes, just looked up the costs of various 'plastic' covers.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Yep, whatever you think will work. I didn't get quotes, just looked up the costs of various 'plastic' covers.
    Ok I'll be able to respond quicker if you email that info to [email protected]

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisF Tecdur For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post

I totally agree with you, but in a way you're lucky in that UK websites generally have pricing provided online.

Afraid that downunder in Australia (which is the land of the biggest rip offs!) we are so backward that very few websites provide pricing online for anything.

As a rule I will (and do) happily travel 50 miles for example to change a set of tyres at a company that does provide pricing online, and sod the local bastards!

I even found a bakery in Emerald recently where absolutely nothing was priced (either on pre-packed items or on the walls, etc.). When we noticed that we immediately escaped!!!!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyGuid For This Useful Post:

17. Happy to help as always guys!

If there is anyone here who works for small-large engineering firms as Tooling Engineers, or Engineering Managers, please do get in touch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information