. .
    Hey guys, I am not sure if I am posting this in the correct subthread, in case I am then please guide me to the correct subthread. I am sorry in advance as this is going to be a slightly longer post than you might be use to lol.

The last time I was on this forum was when I was looking to build a CNC lathe but quickly found out how much that was out of my league so I carried on using my lathe manually. I sold that lathe a while back and now I am looking to build a prototype product which can only be build by CNC machining.

To give you guys a bit of a background on what I am trying to do. I am avid cyclist and am always looking for new tech in cycling industry. I originally bought that lathe mainly to build my own parts for cycling. Back then I was making bikes out of bamboo and carbon fibre and was machining my own bits to fit my custom jib I built for my frames.

Now obviously I couldn't make that work because there was no market in it. Now that I have moved away from that I am more into bike components and trying new tech in cycling industry mainly powermeters.

Getting back to the topic, I recently got a replacement for my powermeter, which I bought 4 years ago for nearly £1000, with a newer version. So my Garmin Vector 2 powermeter which looks like this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vector-2-630x420.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	25506

was changed to this

Name:	garmin-vector-3-double-sided-power-meter-black-EV318374-8500-1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	25507

The reason behind my powermeter being replaced was because it was reading lower wattage than what I was putting out. Vector 3 is much more accurate and looks amazing, mainly because the people at Garmin were able to fit everything including the battery inside the pedal rather than going for an external pod like their older versions. The only plus point about their older version was that I could convert the pedal type from spd-sl type

Name:	5041289-BK000.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	25508

to an spd type

Name:	30600_shimano_m505_spd_pedals.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	25509

Now if you are not familiar with cycling industry, these 2 pedals are vastly different. And sadly one (spd-sl) type is labelled road pedal and the other (spd) type is labelled MTB pedal. This reason alone is why all pedal powermeters are designed with the spd-sl type pedal. This is really annoying because these pedals are extremely uncomfortable to walk/ride in. I know a lot of road cyclists who prefer cycling in spd pedals and absolutely despise spd-sl pedal.

The reason why I am here is because I am looking for someone who can machine me a prototype where I can do the following.

Name:	tvTMqKh.png 
Views:	147 
Size:	775.2 KB 
ID:	25510

I don't have the ability and skill to create a cad design of what needs machining but I do have to physical bits that I can send out to the person interested in helping me to build this prototype. I am of course going to pay for your time and effort. Please reply to this thread if you are interested and I will then go into detail as to what is required to get to this goal. Thanks
    Last edited by fatguyslim; 07-03-2019 at 12:32 AM.

Nice business plan, thank you.

Shall I be in touch when the first prototypes are ready?

This looks like an interesting project, but i would of thought that the transducer would have been integral to the actual pedal so can't see how this is going to work, if you could explain how you intend to do the modificatation that might make it clearer, you also would have been able to do any machining on a manual lathe only advantage of CNC is speed, but you could have sorted your prototype, i have a set of IQ2 powermeters on order that are similar to your first set of road pedals but would prefer SPD if you think it's viable.
    Regards
    Mike

Thread Information