. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hello All,
    I thought I'd share my progress with my sound dampening enclosure I've been building for my CNC router.
    When I started building my CNC, I knew I'd have to have some sort of enclosure, and with the neighbours that I have it would have to be pretty effective at cutting down the noise.

Enclosure is made of an MDF outer shell, then a 10mm gap, then the inside "panels", which are HEAVY.

Each panel is made up of the following layers. 12.5mm plasterboard, CLS timber frame filled with 50mm Rockwool sound insulation, 10mm carpet, 18mm MDF, 10mm carpet again (around the rim only this time, leaving a 10mm gap in the middle).

The completed panels are extremely heavy. After calculating based on the weight of a sheet of mdf and plasterboard, I'd have to say close to 45-50kg each. Thickness of each panel comes to around 110mm.

The only screws used on the panels was to make the CLS frame. All layers are glued together using either contact adhesive (for the carpet, mdf layers) or gripfill (for the plasterboard layers). I wanted to minimize the amount of vibration transference through screws and bolts by omitting them altogether.

Here are a few pics. I still have the front panel/Door to make tomorrow, and I'm still unsure how I will hinge it. Also to do are ports for cables and baffles for fans/airflow.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nealieboyee For This Useful Post:

Thread Information