. .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Thanks for a a great series of interesting and entertaining vids. Your daughter will be very proud of you. Looking forward to the next project.
    All the best and a Happy new year.
    Last edited by Clive S; 16-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks Clive. Yes she loves it
    We managed to get out on it Saturday morning between the rain showers and it was only the cold weather that eventually brought her back inside the house.

Hope you all have a good break !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Final episode in this series . . .!

Have a great break, and see you in the new year (maybe with a very different project)
    Very nice work. Thank you for sharing all the details. It was really interesting to follow your build and the high quality of the work.

I would just comment on two things. One is the charger. I don't know the one you have used, but here in Sweden we had several home fires started by cheap chargers, so personally I'd go for a high quality, branded one. As I said, I don't know the one you are using, so it may be a high quality one, not just a cheap Chinese "design" with half of the safety features left out.

The other thing, which I'd modify is the break switch. I noticed that you are using normally open switch. That is in my opinion not a good idea for any sort of break. I would change it to be normally closed, so that in case the wiring fails, the kart stops automatically. I noticed that you soldered the wires, and that means it will not last forever, corrosion will take it's toll and you will not know when that happens until she can't stop because the break stopped working.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    ... corrosion will take it's toll and you will not know when that happens until she can't stop because the break stopped working.
    I think you may have figured out next year's project - emergency drogue chute and zero/zero ejection system,

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I think you may have figured out next year's project - emergency drogue chute and zero/zero ejection system,
    Not quite but it made me chuckle - closest we will get to that is probably a seat belt.

A_camera,
    The charger is a new model sent to me by Banggood (for free to show in the video) for 12V or 24V lead acid batteries. So far it has worked fine and we've had several charges out of it, usually while I'm nearby. My main complaint so far (as noted in the video) is that the UK plug they supply has no fuse. My plan is to open the unit and see if I can solder on a fused cable and plug. That will give me a chance to look it over at least.
    However, I have no issues with anyone choosing a known branded one for peace of mind, especially if they plan to do unattended charging.

As for the brake system:
    The brake is not electrically operating - it runs mechanically via a brake cable to the brake disc. The switch is just to turn off the throttle to stop them both being on at the same time. In practice if you press both pedals together (without the inhibit switch) the speed controller instantly switches off due to the motor going over current so you will always override the motor and come to a halt - it's actually not very powerful (300W) when compared to the power of the disc brakes. So even without that system it will stop pretty quickly. I decided to include that feature since it was easy to do. On a much more powerful system that might not be the case.

By the way if the wire breaks the kart still will not stop. You have to press the pedal. It just means that it won't automatically cut the throttle, although as I've found out it doesn't amount to much extra safety in this case.

I understand your general point though and what it means if you think about it is that all the electric bikes running around that use that type of controller (there must be a few!) will have a switch to make a connection when the brake is applied. I know on our CNC machine limits we break the signal to indicate a fault, but this controller is wired up the opposite way around. I'm personally not too worried though for the reasons above.

I'm glad most people have found it interesting, that does make the effort involved in filming and editing and uploading worth it. Most importantly my daughter absolutely loves it and only comes in when she gets too cold (wind chill effect maybe?). Happy holidays.
    Last edited by routercnc; 19-12-2019 at 09:24 PM. Reason: grammar
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information