. .

Thread: Conqueror M401

Hello, does anyone have a Conqueror Design and Engineering M401 CNC controller which is surplus to requirements? I have just discovered that one of my M401 cards has a duff processor, and with the sad death of Alex Mackinnon I am unable to get a new one. All of Alex's stuff has now gone apart from a few cards, according to Alex's father. Unfortunately for me he does not have any M401. I will consider even a non-working card on the offchance the CPU might be OK.
    Thanks
    David

Hi Dave ,
    I have just taken one off a Contour minor, working on converting it to run off a motion control card, because when I got the mill it did not come with a license for the software
    I don't think that the card is fully functioning, there may be a problem with the firmware and the guys that installed it did not use diodes on the relay for the spindle so I that the output is faulty
    on the plus side all the chips are socket mounted

Diarmuid

Quote Originally Posted by Zerovis View Post
    Hi Dave ,
    I have just taken one off a Contour minor, working on converting it to run off a motion control card, because when I got the mill it did not come with a license for the software
    I don't think that the card is fully functioning, there may be a problem with the firmware and the guys that installed it did not use diodes on the relay for the spindle so I that the output is faulty
    on the plus side all the chips are socket mounted

Diarmuid
    Hello Diarmuid,

I am using Hyperterminal to talk to mine, I have found a lot of other bits of software which seem to do the same job, sometimes there is no 3d view but that can be done in another bit of software. I have not had time to play with these yet.

My board is fine apart from the CPU, so if there is only some damage to the peripheral bits it won't be a problem and will get me out of trouble.

I will PM you with some details, but if you are willing to let it go I will try swapping the processor.

I would be interested in what you are doing with the motion controller, I have a Boxford mill I was going to convert using Conqueror's Atom board, but that's down the drain now. I have bought an Arduino to run GRBL as a temporary measure but it won't do everything I want.

Regards
    David

Hi David,
    I took the M$)! our and replaced it with a NVUM motion control card , it will run mach 3 over a usb so no looking for older PC's with a serial port although I have one at the moment
    I think you should look at this as it will allow you to replace the control card in the future without much hastle

Hello Diarmuid
    I had a look at you link, looks good, there is also an ethernet version. Do you know if it will work with LinuxCNC? I have looked at LinuxCNC and Mach3 and am a bit worried about running a machine under Windows, Linux is supposed to be better. ��
    David

Hi David ,
    I am not sure about that , there are controllers that will , Mach 3 seems to be reliable epically now that the serial port os no longer needed ,
    I suppose its limitations is that the processing is done on your PC and sent to the card so a slow Pc could be a problem , where as on the CDE the steps are generated by the card ,
    Having said that , I have seen mach 3 running on a Pentium through a serial port to a router , so far the only thing it doesn't do well is a particular type of helical spiral cut but this could be the stepper driver cant keep up , its an old machine he rescued from a skip.

Do you have any idea how to set the steps on the CDE Step1 cards , I have the setting for 400 and 800 steps per rev, but the motors I have are 200 ,
    I can use either as Mach3 will send what I tell it to , so if I set to 400 I send roughly half the 800 I want to try them at 200 to see how accuracy is affected
    Diarmuid

Quote Originally Posted by Zerovis View Post
    Hi David ,
    I am not sure about that , there are controllers that will , Mach 3 seems to be reliable epically now that the serial port os no longer needed ,
    I suppose its limitations is that the processing is done on your PC and sent to the card so a slow Pc could be a problem , where as on the CDE the steps are generated by the card ,
    Having said that , I have seen mach 3 running on a Pentium through a serial port to a router , so far the only thing it doesn't do well is a particular type of helical spiral cut but this could be the stepper driver cant keep up , its an old machine he rescued from a skip.

Do you have any idea how to set the steps on the CDE Step1 cards , I have the setting for 400 and 800 steps per rev, but the motors I have are 200 ,
    I can use either as Mach3 will send what I tell it to , so if I set to 400 I send roughly half the 800 I want to try them at 200 to see how accuracy is affected
    Diarmuid
    Hello Diarmuid,
    I think I have all of the CDE CNC documentation apart from the latest stepper drive board, the one without the heatsink. If I can send an attachment with a PM I will send the PDF I have, Otherwise it's email or Dropbox, except my Dropbox account needs sorting. :-)

Mach3 not coping with things like the spiral cut are why I went for the CDE system, but this decision was made 10 years ago, things have changed a lot over the last 10 years. I have read it does not matter much about the speed of the machine, it's the Windows background tasks which muck things up by pausing Mach3 at inopportune times. Apologies if i am telling you stuff you know. :-)

The Step 1 cards can be set for loads of steps, the motor may be 200 steps per rev but the card can microstep up to 1600 steps per rev. Alex Mackinnon was brilliant with stepper drives. You would just have to tell the controller the actual number of steps per rev.

I'll try PMing the PDF shortly.

Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by davethesteam View Post
    Hello, does anyone have a Conqueror Design and Engineering M401 CNC controller which is surplus to requirements? I have just discovered that one of my M401 cards has a duff processor, and with the sad death of Alex Mackinnon I am unable to get a new one. All of Alex's stuff has now gone apart from a few cards, according to Alex's father. Unfortunately for me he does not have any M401. I will consider even a non-working card on the offchance the CPU might be OK.
    Thanks
    David
    Hi David,

do you still need one? I broke my pc so about to swap out the system on my lathe if you need it.

Regards
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Stacey View Post
    Hi David,

do you still need one? I broke my pc so about to swap out the system on my lathe if you need it.

Regards
    Tim
    Hello Tim, yes I still need one please. Can you pm me and let me know what you would like for it. Are you ditching it because EaziCNC won't run on another PC? I am going to write a front end for sending files and displaying position but it won't show the tool path. However this is some way off as I am playing steam engines at the moment, much to do over the winter. :-)

Hi Dave,

after much confusion I realise that I cannot PM you as I am a new user so my posts are moderated. Can you PM me and we can try that?

In terms of what I want I have no real thoughts, I have the M401 and a couple of stepper drivers if they are of use. I think I damaged my PC in a move (damaged the display connector), I have had a go at finding the problem but with no luck. The lathe worked fine until that point, I converted it a few years ago with the CDE system which has worked well. I was about to look at getting it setup with another PC when I realised that CDE is not really supported now.

I am going to a planetcnc system, I have a milling running with it and it has been great to use so I am keen to get to a common system. It is also a (hopefully) quick project as it will be my third go at this sort of job now. I am just waiting for it to all arrive.

Regards
    Tim

Thread Information