. .
    Hi all, I have been looking around at cnc machines, small ones that all seem to be edngraving/cnc machines, for my use it only need to cut aluminium billet and the max billet size will be 150 square. I would need to cut all sides but don't mind stopping and changing the billet to mill other sides, would yuou build opne or buy one of them cheap ones, also I would like it to not be fast but not take hours either, what would be your advice and im most stuck on the motor spindle I would need to cut aluminium.
    Cheap as possiable would be better but will be getting parts over time aswell.
    Thanks for any help
    Brett

Also I would mind covnverting a drill or somethink and making the bed movable as the things I will be making are not hard or have any crazy angles to cut so could be done by hand.
    Last edited by Brett; 01-04-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Hi Bret
    Wouldn't even consider the cheap Chinese routers, not substantial enough to cut ally in any respectable time frame, from the last line of your post it appears that your best option would be a small milling machine if you are just doing facing cuts, however if you intend to drill precise holes or profiles a CNC mill would be a better option but your lack of budget seems to rule that out, also you would need the required skills to draw your design in a suitable CAD/CAM program. If your projects are simple comprising just flat faces ect this sort of work can be done on a lathe with a 4 Jaw Chuck, if you have the available space for this sort of kit, doesn't have to be anything fancy, might find something on a well known auction site.
    Regards
    Mike

ok thanks for the info, my issue with buying a cnc mill is having the space for it.
    I would have thought to build one it would need to be in the 300 - 400 bead area range and that I could use a motor from some were.
    To build a frame a decent one would cost the same as the cheap ebay machines. I don't mind building one over a few months but most I see tend to be bigish machines and I would want one that's around 450-500 square, do you think its possiable and what spindle motor would be a good choice ? could you use one from a decent drill/angle girnder or somethink ? im such a noob at this :D
    Also I can use Fusion 360 and I do make desgins in it aswell.
    Thanks for the input
    Brett

Hi Bret
    Best bet is to have a look @ some of the build logs (http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/282-Ga...hines-Building) this will give you some idea of what is required, you could build a machine from steel box section(cheapest option) you don't need to be a brilliant welder to stick one together, others might be able to advise regarding motors/power supplies ect. rule number one don't buy anything until you have a CAD design for the guys to look @ this will save you wasting money, all the information you need to build a machine is available on the forum you just need to do the research, any questions will be answered by the forum members.
    Good Luck
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

You might find that a CNC conversion of a compact CNC mill with decent iron castings could be cost effective.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thread Information