. .
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Hi,

I am looking at a potential workshop in a semi industrial / residential area. The owner is uncertain, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is there a central service for requesting a quote for 3 Phase power or is it based on whomever your local supplier is?

Thanks

Just contact your local distribution company eg, Western Power Distribution
    http://www.energynetworks.org/info/f...-operator.html

They will know best for your location and can also give you an idea on install cost.
    It can be quite £££ to get it installed if there is no onsite 3 phase so if you are in a small industrial park/premises or one within/near a residential, mostly likely it wont have 3 phase as the demand is not enough.
    That and I believe they try not to install 3 phase near residential as it is expected the equipment that uses 3 phase typically results in more noise pollution..?

(this is just from my own research from looking at a small unit that had 3 phase at the park but not to all the units, don't take my word as gospel)
    Last edited by JOGARA; 30-10-2017 at 03:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JOGARA For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Thanks.

Found that it was this.

https://www.ssen.co.uk

Their old website says no 3 Phase at residential property. Called them, said website was old, new site just needs registration and can then apply / get a quote.

Thanks

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    if you are in a small industrial park/premises or one within/near a residential, mostly likely it wont have 3 phase as the demand is not enough.
    That and I believe they try not to install 3 phase near residential as it is expected the equipment that uses 3 phase typically results in more noise pollution..?
    I would suggest that most industrial units have 3 phase. Also there is 3 phase around most residential developments but they don't like bringing it in to a standard house.

I did have 3 phase in my house but had it taken out many years ago

The owner should know if he has it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I would suggest that most industrial units have 3 phase. Also there is 3 phase around most residential developments but they don't like bringing it in to a standard house.

In this case, they only have single phase. So this we know.

Why someone in their right mind would have 3 phase removed is beyond me ......

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post

A couple I looked at didn't have it but they were next or within residential areas. That or the agent didn't know or is talking shit..
    Can only guess the latter.

When I say small I mean like 1-3 little workshop size small not like a proper park btw.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Most reliable option is to look at where the power comes in yourself. 4 cables in (all of which should pass through the meter), means there is 3 phase coming in. If there's only 2 cables, then it's only single phase.

If there's not a low voltage 3 phase transformer near by, then expect a 5 digit cost. My neighbour just got quoted 18'000 to get a transformer installed to get 3 phase next to an 11kV line.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

9. i dont have 3 phase - i run everything off 220v to 380v vfds. -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Hi,

I am looking at a potential workshop in a semi industrial / residential area. The owner is uncertain, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is there a central service for requesting a quote for 3 Phase power or is it based on whomever your local supplier is?

Thanks
    I ‘d go with a VDF if there is no 3ph in the workshop at present as it can be costly to install as others have said.
    I use a VDF in my dust extraction system and it works fine. Give someone like drives direct a call and get the to tell you the size of VDF you need. They were really helpful when I got mine.

Paul

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul the wood turner For This Useful Post:

All new domestic developments are getting 3 phase as it's the only way to run a proper fast charger for an electric car with a less than derisory range.
    I wouldn't buy a new house though, with only a 10 year guarantee on most I consider that "Not fit for purpose" as mine has stood for over 100 years with the original roof, most of the original roof tiles and no major work after the initial builders finished with it.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

13. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Thread Information