1. #1
    good day -

    i am designing a handheld tool. i am needing to adhere the wood to the metal stem.

    as you can see (i have cut parts of the metal so as to trap some of the epoxy.

    however, is that even necessary?

    and as far as the bore size goes for the wood - how much room/tolerance should i provide for the metal stem to fit?

    regards -

    jón

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rolloer_007.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	266.4 KB 
ID:	25655

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JEK5019 For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Hi Jon
    Most good quality 2 part epoxy's will do the job. Use the slow setting ones they set stronger and give you more working time. A couple of grooves will be more than enough to stop the rod pulling out although I would recommend some flats on the metal if there is going to be any torque on the metal just in case. Rough sanding or bad turning techniqe would probably improve the adhesion of the epoxy. A good trick is to warm the metal and epoxy which will make it thin and runny. Maybe a thin groove the length of the rod will help the epoxy out when you push the rod in otherwise if it's to tight you'll never get it in. Don't forget to use properly seasoned wood otherwise you'll have problems. Some Danish oil would be a good finish (a couple of coats Rustins ) Alternativly you could use a thin super glue the fit between metal and wood would have to be close but not dead tight and just let cappiliary action soak the glue down the rod. One benefit of the thin super glue is that it soaks into the wood and helps strnghten it. How much tolerence you'll need you'll have to try out viscosity of the glue is going to vary. Whats the tool for ?
    Cheers

    Andrew

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    All the above is sound advice - all I'll add is to make sure the metal part is properly degreased, otherwise adhesion won't be great.

  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Jon
    Most good quality 2 part epoxy's will do the job. Use the slow setting ones they set stronger and give you more working time. A couple of grooves will be more than enough to stop the rod pulling out although I would recommend some flats on the metal if there is going to be any torque on the metal just in case. Rough sanding or bad turning techniqe would probably improve the adhesion of the epoxy. A good trick is to warm the metal and epoxy which will make it thin and runny. Maybe a thin groove the length of the rod will help the epoxy out when you push the rod in otherwise if it's to tight you'll never get it in. Don't forget to use properly seasoned wood otherwise you'll have problems. Some Danish oil would be a good finish (a couple of coats Rustins ) Alternativly you could use a thin super glue the fit between metal and wood would have to be close but not dead tight and just let cappiliary action soak the glue down the rod. One benefit of the thin super glue is that it soaks into the wood and helps strnghten it. How much tolerence you'll need you'll have to try out viscosity of the glue is going to vary. Whats the tool for ?
    Cheers

    Andrew
    thanks for the information and clarity andrew. considering that i have 0 experience in this field - could you take a moment and possibly suggest which 2 part epoxies i might best use?

    the tool will be used as a roller - as it will be pressed down. there will be no pulling of the metal per say.
    Last edited by JEK5019; 1 Week Ago at 12:18 PM.

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JEK5019 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Hi Jon
    If you are in Finland this stuff should be readily available
    https://www.uhu.de/de/produkt.3950
    or West systems
    https://www.westsystem.com/105-epoxy-resin/
    The uhu should be easy to find in small quantities, the west stuff will be better if your'e needing more.

    Cheers
    Andrew

  10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the great waldo For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Jon
    If you are in Finland this stuff should be readily available
    https://www.uhu.de/de/produkt.3950
    or West systems
    https://www.westsystem.com/105-epoxy-resin/
    The uhu should be easy to find in small quantities, the west stuff will be better if your'e needing more.

    Cheers
    Andrew
    nice - thanks andrew!

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JEK5019 For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    There may be guys that do Metal & Wood and CNC Lathe & CNC Milling but that's not very common in my experience of hobby & small professional machinists.
    You might get a wider response to your RFQ if you at least split the woodwork from the metal.

    - Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Adhesive wise, I'd use a Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant, they are used to fix vehicle body panels and windscreens and are flexible enough to withstand a lot of abuse whilst providing a firm hold in an application like yours.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

  16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:


  17. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JEK5019 View Post
    thanks for the information and clarity andrew. considering that i have 0 experience in this field - could you take a moment and possibly suggest which 2 part epoxies i might best use?

    the tool will be used as a roller - as it will be pressed down. there will be no pulling of the metal per say.
    Hello!
    I use EA40 from Smooth-on. NEVER had an issue with that. Very good epoxy.
    West systems is also very good.

    Regards

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ryghar For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Metal 3D printing
    By mekanik in forum 3D Printing Machines
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-07-2017, 05:38 PM
  2. Aluminium adhesive
    By Danielroyal25 in forum Metal Finishing Techniques
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-11-2015, 08:40 PM
  3. RFQ: Wood CNC routing service (wood Letters)
    By coujin in forum Projects, Jobs & Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-02-2015, 02:35 PM
  4. FOR SALE: metal cabinets
    By kingcreaky in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 26-10-2013, 04:40 PM
  5. Metal Spinner
    By vueselection in forum Opportunities Available & Sought
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-05-2012, 02:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •