. .

Thread: Passivation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I feel that I'd like to passivate some of the internal parts of the machine as experience tells me that stuff will slowly corrode up here in the damp Lakeland climate (we're not too far from the sea either). I was going to use the Caswell yellow chromate stuff (a bit nasty, but OK if you know what you're doing and reduce any leftovers to Cr(III) before disposing), but they seem to have stopped selling it. There are meant to be some safer non-chromate alternatives, but I can't seem to find anyone selling any in less than majorly industrial quantities - anyone got any ideas please?

Oh, and I did like the yellow colour of the chromate

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Don't know if this is what your after, but i think i got my supply of etch primer from manor paints, used to use international but Akzo Nobel took it over and don't think it's available anymore.
    http://www.manorcoatingsystems.co.uk...brication-of-a
    Regards
    Mike

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Frost still sell various plating kits - www.frost.co.uk
    They're not normally the cheapest source, but their plating kits seem comparable with other sources.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the suggestion of Frosts - I'd forgotten about them. Sadly although they do a very interesting electro-passivation kit it's only for zinc :-(

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Had a little look into this and it seems that Citric Acid can be used instead of Nitric Acid(link) but you would still have to put a protective coat over that so it looks like the etch primer would be a better solution,Just had a check in the shed, the Manor Paints is the Chromate(yellow base) that i prefer but Chromadex do a none Chromate etch if you prefer that.I got this for refurbishment of Spilka H type window hardware as they are made from mild steel then passivated and clear coated but this deteriorated after about 10 years, just out of interest where are you located, i am near Ulverston.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Mike

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citric-acid.../dp/B00GOT02C2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Aye that's the thing I found, but it seems to be for zinc plated items rather than for ali.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Had a little look into this and it seems that Citric Acid can be used instead of Nitric Acid(link) but you would still have to put a protective coat over that so it looks like the etch primer would be a better solution,Just had a check in the shed, the Manor Paints is the Chromate(yellow base) that i prefer but Chromadex do a none Chromate etch if you prefer that.I got this for refurbishment of Spilka H type window hardware as they are made from mild steel then passivated and clear coated but this deteriorated after about 10 years, just out of interest where are you located, i am near Ulverston.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards
    Mike
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citric-acid.../dp/B00GOT02C2
    Thanks for that Mike, but I really wanted a simple chemical passivation process (i.e. just dip it) rather than some kind of painting. BTW, I'm just over the hill from you in Broughton, nice to find someone else up this way - one often feels a bit out on a limb living up here!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Voicecoil For This Useful Post:

Don't know if it's still operational, but there used to be a metal finishers(Hemsworth) @ Salthouse Mills, but Bill passed a couple of year ago, his brother Bernie might have taken it over, try Yellow pages, they used to do Cadmium plating @ the time i remember, they might have a solution for you.
    Regards
    Mike

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mekanik For This Useful Post:

Cheers Mike, I'll see if I can find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information