. .

Thread: DIY ATC Spindle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Hello,

I am building my own atc bt30 spindle. For the motor i will use my current 2.2kw water cooled spindle with 1:2 gear ratio for more torque at lower speeds but since it is heavy, noisy and take a lot of space in my z axis configuration (no space for air cylinder) i was thinking to use smaller brushless motor for rc boats. Since i dont have that much electrical knowledge i would like to know if this motor would even work for such task? They are small, high rpm, water coolled but i have no idea if this can handle 8h+ work a day? Here is the link for the motor:

https://www.skyrc.com/Power_System/Proteus_x524

Please help?

Without any real knowledge on my part (so typical for an internet response) - you might want to ask the supplier for the run-out figures (both axial and radial) and guaranteed life of the bearings used. Those would be my main concern, and it's these mechanical (rather than electrical) characteristics which would influence the use of such a motor in this application.

Regarding the electrical side of things, you have to factor in a low-voltage DC supply at whatever power-level you anticipate, control system (stick with the RC controllers - they are designed for this), and heavy duty power distribution (cabling, connectors) as well as cooling systems (rough rule of thumb : for a given power, the higher current/lower voltage systems will have higher power losses in the form of heat).

I can't help but think that you're trying to re-invent the wheel here where solutions already exist, but you have my grudging respect to try this. I'd be interested in hearing how successful you are - particularly if you get the ATC working.

3. Here is the section view of the bt30 spindle setup. All the parts for spindle are made or ordered. Unfortunatelly i didnt think about diy spindle when i was designing the cnc machine, so now i am facing lack of space on z axis.

Sole purpose of the motor would be to run the spindle shaft.
    Last edited by Husky1; 23-04-2019 at 09:06 AM.

4. btw, if anyone is interested, i could make another shaft. (shaft, pull bar and lock socket)

You need to look at proper spindles and use a stack of conical spring washers to retain the tool via pull studs and a readily available, off the shelf puller (petal/clamp/claw are useful search terms)
    You don't have space in that design for a good pull system.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

6. I dissagre. This system works perfectly. There is a stack of 42 belleville washers in the shaft, with enough force to hold the tool with six 5mm bearing balls. I will demonstrate when the spindle is build in a month or so.
    Last edited by Husky1; 23-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Yes, it will have the tension, initially.
    But there is a reason the spring stack is much larger in commercial spindles, they don't rely on what works, they rely on what doesn't fail prematurely in service.

8. that might be true, but even if the springs fail, it is much much cheaper to repair the damage than buying 3k+ spindle. At the end of the day, this is still home made cnc, not proffesional cnc so i hope it will do the job.

10krpm spindles are closer to 1k.
    All you'd need to do is use a larger tube & bearings to accommodate adequate components, why would you not?

10. i want 15krpm+ spindle with atc and must fit my z axis configuration. Got made mine for almost half the price.
    Last edited by Husky1; 23-04-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information