. .

Thread: Luthier CNC

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I also used Alum see this post #11 http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8903-...highlight=alum I am not sure if there are different strengths of Alum
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Bluesking
    Broken drills/taps in non ferous materials can be dissolved using Alum solution.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9aX0rtzdbxJhZP
    Also when tapping go with the recommended size from your Zeus book ie 4.2mm but use a solid(no flute's) spiral tap.
    Regards
    Mike
    Nifty solution, thank you.

I used a 3 flute straight M5 tap with some cutting oil. Did about 50 holes with no problems at all (once I’d drilled everything to 4.2). What would be the advantage of solid spiral tap?

The best taps I've found for through holes in ali are the blue ring spiral point types like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Europa spiral point blue ring.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	25793
    They're made specially for aluninium, the interrupted thread higher up seems to help with binding. Typically I've found you can tap a hole in 12mm plate in 3...4 seconds with one of these in a cordless drill with some cutting fluid. For blind holes as Mekanik said you need to use a spiral flute tap (to get the chips out), again I've found the blue ring types are marginally the best.
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 19-05-2019 at 10:08 AM.

This might be of interest
    http://www.europatool.co.uk/threading/application-taps
    Regards
    Mike

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    In a nut shell for taps-
    Spiral Point - Only good for through holes, as they push the swarf forward through the hole.
    Spiral Flute - good for blind holes, as the swarf comes up around the shank, but are more prone to binding if the swarf doesn't clear.

My preference is always spiral point, as they're the stronger option.
    If you're only going through relatively thin section, I'd avoid the interrupted flute ones Voicecoil posted a pic off, as a bit inadvertent sideways pressure with only two or three support flutes engaged can quickly jam the tap and snap the tap/rip the threads out the hole.
    As always, lubrication is key. For tapping aluminium, a drop of good quality cutting oil is essential to stop things sticking.

There are also threadforming / roll forming taps which can give a stronger thread in aluminium, but drill hole size is very critical, so I would advise against them unless you can control the hole size well. Undersize and the tap will quickly jam, oversize and you won't have much of a thread.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesking View Post
    I got mine from Axminster:
    https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...e-punch-100244

On mine, the crosshair optic is out of alignment :( but the circle/dot optic is perfect :)
    Here's an alternative manufacturer's product being demonstrated...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zBl9yLacWs
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Hi Bluesking

Just seen your post here. Well done for joining the forum, doing a design and taking advice!. I wish I had seen this earlier because I would have told you to get the parts water-jet cut which also would have done some of the bigger holes for you and spotted the rest. This is the approach I took on my build and saved me a lot of grief (see build here http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/8206-...Axis-CNC-Build post #10 ) All I had to do was counterbore and thread the extrusions using a spiral tap. I then used a finishing tap to clean the threads or a plug tap where the hole is stopped.

Regards
    Michael
    Last edited by MikeyC38; 24-05-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Hi guys,
    Have not been on for a while as have been busy sorting out my new workspace and stocking up on parts. Thanks for everyone's various messages - don't have time at the mo to answer everyone individually.

Its all go on the CNC front now my space is sorted and I have all my parts, so I wanted to post an update.

Today I built a table for the CNC. 18mm MDF & C16 CLS timber from B&Q. About £30 worth of materials:

1 Cutting to size

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	25845

2 Table top is 900mm x 1220mm; Supported by a timber frame:

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	25846

3 700mm legs screwed on to table top:

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	25847

4 timber base frame for support and shelf:

Name:	IMG_0403.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	25849

5 MDF shelf for base frame, and a few corner supports for increased rigidity (may need more of these in the short-dimension in future)
    Table finished, ready to start assembling the machine itself:

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	25850
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	25848  
    Last edited by bluesking; 08-06-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Looking good. Just a thought - is MDF the best, most appropriate worktop for something that could end up working with water (if only a failure-case for the spindle coolant, for example). My point - I have a sacrificial MDF layer on my "electronics" bench - and that's suffered some small water damage from an ultrasonic bath - and the surface is now perpetually feathering and impossible to flatten. My personal preference atm is ply, but most of the shops are stocking cheap eastern boards with large filled voids. The bench I've used for the mill is steel framed with ply top, sheathed in 1.2mm steel sheet (I had a bit lying around) - that's tough as boots.

I'm assuming that the bench is entirely separate from the machine? (it doesn't form part of the machine build?)
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-06-2019 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Looking good. Just a thought - is MDF the best, most appropriate worktop for something that could end up working with water (if only a failure-case for the spindle coolant, for example). My point - I have a sacrificial MDF layer on my "electronics" bench - and that's suffered some small water damage from an ultrasonic bath - and the surface is now perpetually feathering and impossible to flatten. My personal preference atm is ply, but most of the shops are stocking cheap eastern boards with large filled voids. The bench I've used for the mill is steel framed with ply top, sheathed in 1.2mm steel sheet (I had a bit lying around) - that's tough as boots.

I'm assuming that the bench is entirely separate from the machine? (it doesn't form part of the machine build?)
    Yes it is a separate bench - not connected to the machine - though I will probably mount the X cable chain directly to it. I will mount the electronics to the lower shelf for now and see if this causes any problems.

I'm using an aircooled spindle so hopefully no issues with moisture.
    Last edited by bluesking; 08-06-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information