. .
    Hello!

I want to buy a small CNC-milling machine to do some milling in aluminium and probably a little bit in steel. I have found two different used machines and want to hear with you who are experts, regarding what you think about these machines.

WMD20LV:

This have a sign with HBM-Machines, but I do not cannot find anything about exactly this brand. This machine has a "MX Business" controller board, which I do not now much about either. Working dimension is 430 mm in X, 135 mm in T and 300 in Z. This is the link to the machine. (Norwegian site, but with pictures)

Denford Triac:

Denford with Gecko 540, and with a spindle with 2800 rpm and fog lubrication. Working dimension is 300 mm in X, 200 mm in Y and 235 mm in X. Her is the link to this machine. (Norwegian site, but with pictures)¨

What is you opininon on these machines?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Mechanically wise, the Triac will be a lot more rigid than the WMD, but won't have as much travel.

The Triac is quite an early one, as only early ones had the option of an R8 spindle with enough room to fit an induction motor. Later ones used BT35 (then even later ones BT30), and a slimmer but equally powerful DC spindle motor.

I'd be querying if the WMD has had ballscrews fitted, as they're not mentioned, and the photos don't show any. It may still be running the original trapezoidal screws.

I've never heard of MX Business, but it looks to be a parallel breakout board with plugin stepper drivers, as it's using the PMDX-411 (essentially a CNC USB to parallel port controller).
    I'd want more information about the breakout board.

Gecko 540 is OK. Nothing outstanding, but a known quantity unlike the MX Business.

Mach 3/4 both do the job.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answer. I have asked if the WMD have ballscrews, and the seller did not know, but from the pictures I got (very bad quality) it seems like it is ballscrews.

I cannot find much information about MX Business, but I got a German manual form the seller.

Which one do you think is best? Or is both rubbish?

Anyone else who has any thoughts or opinions?

Thread Information