. .
    Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Does anyone happen to know of any pump that will be able to run a hose down the spindle which will clear chips away from when I'm slotting. I can't run any coolant on my machine with how it is currently so this is the next best. Ideally would like it to be 12v or even 24v.

Rob

Try people like Airpower - I think they do 12/24V compressors - would be worth checking they do enough cfm first though, blowing chips will need a pretty good continuous flow I would have thought. Any reasons why not to use a mains powered compressor? likely to be more common and hence chaeper I would have thought.

I doubt if a low voltage compressor would have the oomph to give a continuous airflow enough to clear chips. I currently run a Hailea pond pump (quite a big one) to blow away chips, but bear in mind I only have a small ali gantry machine. There is little pressure, but plenty of flow (80L/min). The main advantage is that it is quiet.

I have recently acquired a JunAir 600 for £15, it had issues and losses, but the pump worked OK and I put on a new pressure switch, inlet filter and pump to reservoir pipe. So for <£30 I got a very quiet source of air at 8bar. These compressors are used in Banks as part of the security system. With the closure of branches, they come onto the market and fully working they cost around £60. I am currently constructing an air/coolant pulse programmer and when I have it finished, I will post a thread with the details. As usual (NB Clive) it will be over the top, as I am doing it for the fun of it.

Cheers

Rob-T
    Last edited by cropwell; 24-04-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I doubt if a powerful enough low voltage compressor would have the oomph to give a continuous airflow enough to clear chips. I currently run a Hailea pond pump (quite a big one) to blow away chips, but bear in mind I only have a small ali gantry machine. There is little pressure, but plenty of flow (80L/min). The main advantage is that it is quiet.

I have recently acquired a JunAir 600 for £15, it had issues and losses, but the pump worked OK and I put on a new pressure switch, inlet filter and pump to reservoir pipe. So for <£30 I got a very quiet source of air at 8bar. These compressors are used in Banks as part of the security system. With the closure of branches, they come onto the market and fully working they cost around £60. I am currently constructing an air/coolant pulse programmer and when I have it finished, I will post a thread with the details. As usual (NB Clive) it will be over the top, as I am doing it for the fun of it.

Cheers

Rob-T
    I'll take a look, yeah I'm not expecting massive amounts of air to being forced through, I dry cut and I've got a decent recipe for such so It's not so much like it's got any cutting fluid to push through to remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    Try people like Airpower - I think they do 12/24V compressors - would be worth checking they do enough cfm first though, blowing chips will need a pretty good continuous flow I would have thought. Any reasons why not to use a mains powered compressor? likely to be more common and hence chaeper I would have thought.
    Simply just based on the noise produced by the regular type, I'd quite like a screw one though as that would be ideal for using my brad guns on! Mains again I'm trying to move away from as I'm limited on outlets and it's a pain for me to access them behind my toolbox so I've been moving over to DC and such recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Does anyone happen to know of any pump that will be able to run a hose down the spindle which will clear chips away from when I'm slotting. I can't run any coolant on my machine with how it is currently so this is the next best. Ideally would like it to be 12v or even 24v.

Rob
    Have you considered a small 12V compressor made for pumping tires? I think that for cleaning chips it should work well, even if it "pumps" air puffs. Anyway, those are cheap, small and run from 12V, so easy to try and no big loss if it won't work. I don't think you'll need very high pressure, so no need for a large compressor for this purpose.

If you are determined to go 12v then an air suspension compressor might work, you can probably get one from a car breakers yard. I don't know if they are suitable for continuous operation though or what current they take.

What intrigues me is where you are getting the 12v from.

It doesn't need to be 12V, I can run it from the 24V PSU just the same. Is that uncommon or something as you seem surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    It doesn't need to be 12V, I can run it from the 24V PSU just the same. Is that uncommon or something as you seem surprised.
    These 12v air pumps can draw a lot of current and can be very noisy electrically (brushed motor !). I would be careful you don't burn out your PSU
    Last edited by cropwell; 25-04-2019 at 11:10 PM.

Thread Information