. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi
    My name is Paul,
    I am right at the start of a cnc router build, I have been reading on here for some time now gathering as much info as possible,
    This is all new to me so please be patient with me,I have a massive task ahead of me as I have no back ground in cnc at all, I've always been interested in engineering and fascinated with cnc. I spend most of my time tinkering with motor bikes , model helicopters, or anything mechanical.
    I have a small lathe, which i have learnt loads from and quickly realised it is not as easy as the pro's make it look.
    I'm learning fusion 360 cad and cam and watching as many videos as possible,
    My build
    Cnc moving gantry router all steel construction, it is based on image attached, but want to use 200mm x 100mm box steel for gantry ,fit ball screw inside and cut letter box for ball screw, ( I have a choice of 4.5mm or 8mm thick ), with the cut out in the front don't know which to use for strength purposes, also weight.
    It's made from 70 x 70 X 5 box steel for the router frames,
    It's 1200mm wide x axis and 1000mm deep y axis
    20mm square linear rail X Y Z
    1 x 2010 ball screws on x axis ( only because of what I've read, don't know if 16 will do ?)
    2 x 2010 ball screws on y axis ( again what I've read to stop whip )
    1 x 1605 ball screw on z axis
    All with pulleys and belts, need help with ratios, nearer the time.
    When I started to think about this build I was set on using nema 34 8nm closed loop stepper motors, as bigger was better, I soon learned that was not the case, and holding power number is not the one to look at.
    The stepper motors is where I am really struggling as my machine will be heavy as I want to cut aluminium. But all this reading has been worth it as the one thing you tell new comers is not to buy any electrics which I haven't,
    Sorry for the long post, I have so many questions but will ask as I need to.

Great forum, so much info.
    Thank you Paul
    Last edited by Crunch; 29-04-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Hi
    My name is Paul,
    I am right at the start of a cnc router build, I have been reading on here for some time now gathering as much info as possible,
    This is all new to me so please be patient with me,I have a massive task ahead of me as I have no back ground in cnc at all, I've always been interested in engineering and fascinated with cnc. I spend most of my time tinkering with motor bikes , model helicopters, or anything mechanical.
    I have a small lathe, which i have learnt loads from and quickly realised it is not as easy as the pro's make it look.
    I'm learning fusion 360 cad and cam and watching as many videos as possible,
    My build
    Cnc moving gantry router all steel construction, it is based on image attached, but want to use 200mm x 100mm box steel for gantry ,fit ball screw inside and cut letter box for ball screw, ( I have a choice of 4.5mm or 8mm thick ), with the cut out in the front don't know which to use for strength purposes, also weight.
    It's made from 70 x 70 X 5 box steel for the router frames,
    It's 1200mm wide x axis and 1000mm deep y axis
    20mm square linear rail X Y Z
    1 x 2010 ball screws on x axis ( only because of what I've read, don't know if 16 will do ?)
    2 x 2010 ball screws on y axis ( again what I've read to stop whip )
    1 x 1605 ball screw on z axis
    All with pulleys and belts, need help with ratios, nearer the time.
    When I started to think about this build I was set on using nema 34 8nm closed loop stepper motors, as bigger was better, I soon learned that was not the case, and holding power number is not the one to look at.
    The stepper motors is where I am really struggling as my machine will be heavy as I want to cut aluminium. But all this reading has been worth it as the one thing you tell new comers is not to buy any electrics which I haven't,
    Sorry for the long post, I have so many questions but will ask as I need to.

Great forum, so much info.
    Thank you Paul
    Hi Paul,

You have come to the right place.
    It is good to see you have made work of designing the machine.

Hope you will find the information you are looking for on here like i did.

Grtz Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Hi Crunch
    Welcome to the forum,Theres loads of information available if you can wade through the build logs, regarding Gantry construction i would like to point you @ Neals log.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/11617...highlight=AVOR
    I like this a lot.
    Regards
    Mike

Thank you for your replies.
    I have made a start based on image I attached.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I plan to put sheet material around the 2 sides and the back to help contain the mess and set up a vac for doing mdf.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crunch For This Useful Post:

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    Frame looks solid, don't like the large box section you are intending for the gantry, better to have two square sections welded together, did you look at AVOR.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Frame looks solid, don't like the large box section you are intending for the gantry, better to have two square sections welded together, did you look at AVOR.
    Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike
    I had planned the side braces very similar to avor's design , don't you like the box section for looks or strength.
    I based my idea around the attached image, but to sit the gantry on a plate then on the cars as avor's design with end braces like avor.

Thanks Paul
    Last edited by Crunch; 30-04-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Hi Paul
    Nothing to do with cosmetics, two square sections welded together will be far more rigid than a similar size one piece component.so you can have it looking as per the shop sabre but it will be more rigid, just pointed you to AVOR as others have commented on the gantry design and though you might find it appealing.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
    Hi Paul
    Nothing to do with cosmetics, two square sections welded together will be far more rigid than a similar size one piece component.so you can have it looking as per the shop sabre but it will be more rigid, just pointed you to AVOR as others have commented on the gantry design and though you might find it appealing.
    Regards
    Mike
    Hi Mike
    Thank you for your time , I read the Avor build which was very detailed, Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. This is all new to me and I'm happy to be advised, shown different methods etc,
    I spent a lot of time looking and reading to choose a design that will fit my needs and fit the garage space. This is why I joined this forum for advice from the people who have been there and done it.
    I would like to use the box steel if possible just because I've paid for it, even if I had to weld some braces inside to strengthen it. I would be willing to change it if it was needed.

Regards Paul

I have a few questions, if this is not the right place to ask please advise where to post.

What is an acceptable weight of a gantry with every thing on it including spindle, it terms of performance, I understand the heavier it gets the more effort it takes to start and stop it when moving due to the mass. Do you just deal with the extra weight with gearing or bigger steppers? Or is there a sweet spot in weight ?

I'm not 100% sure on how the axis are, as some machine I've seen shows front to back as x axis and others machines x axis is left to right.

Also which ball screws would be best to use,
    2 x 900mm 1605 or 1610 with pulleys y axis. ( front to back ) or
    2 x 900mm 2005 or 2010 with pulleys y axis. ( front to back ) would you get whip on this length and would these be better with a heavier gantry?
    1 x 1200mm 2005 or 2010 with pulleys on x axis ( left to right ) again for whip due to length .
    I've based axis direction on most machine I've seen are this way, but there are many that show they are the other way.
    Which is correct ?
    Do you know why different machines show different ways ?

Regards Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Crunch For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information