. .
    Well that's a good start to a long weekend - got a ball screw and nut through the post for the conversion of a Sieg SX2.7, specifically for the Z axis. Carefully rolled the nut onto a bit of Ali pipe (bored bar) to rotate it top-to-bottom on the screw, inserted nut in the Z-axis carrier, carefully inserted screw into the column, and dropped it onto the pipe, punching it through into the base of the column - full of grease and cast iron dust and dropping the balls out into the same.

Oops.

I might be able to find all the BBs - this was above an open drawer so they should all be in there somewhere!

Now, as well as the BBs, the three diverters dropped out as well. Each has a different number stamped on the outer wall (the bit that pokes through the nut wall and remains visible). These are the steel diverters, as well, not the plastic ones.

Question: Is there a sequence (numeric) that the diverters need to be inserted?, otherwise what do the numbers signify?

Next... any good hints on repacking?, I've filled the races with silicone grease, will leave it to tomorrow to go tacky (bit thin straight out of the tube).

Finally, any good swear words?, I think I've exhausted all the ones that I know.

Its a good learning curve. They are not to bad to get back in, not as hard as the blue smoke that comes out of some electronics

Have you seen this https://forum.linuxcnc.org/51-ot-pos...it-a-c7#130764
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Clive - cheers - that's a pretty good video you've linked to - had the wife giggling in the corner listening to men packing their balls.

Next bit of fun... I tried printing a packing tool to help on this job (I do still have one spare ball nut somewhere)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	25746

Isn't that cool!!!

Now, look closely at the thread rotation.

My how I laughed.

Another 3 hours to print this the correct way.

Oh, you might want one of these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10622
    Last edited by Doddy; 03-05-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Clive - cheers - that's a pretty good video you've linked to - had the wife giggling in the corner listening to men packing their balls.

Next bit of fun... I tried printing a packing tool to help on this job (I do still have one spare ball nut somewhere)....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2260.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	25746

Isn't that cool!!!

Now, look closely at the thread rotation.

My how I laughed.

Another 3 hours to print this the correct way.

Oh, you might want one of these https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10622
    In time you printed that you could have packed 10 ball nuts. Nice find on the kit though
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I don't think the numbers matters, I've never followed any convention resulting in conviction.

I've re-packed quite a few of these so if you get stuck and want to send it to me only the postage cost is involved.

I do the same and load the nut up with enough grease to keep the balls in place but not to much you cant see what your doing, you can use the screw or a nicely sized pipe to keep them in place as you re-load each circuit.

1605 balls are 3.175mm (1/8") size
    1610 balls are 2.778mm (7/64") size

1605 has 3 circuits
    1610 has 2 circuits

17 balls in each circuit.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 04-05-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    .Me

Cheers Lee... the irony is that I had a spare nut - one that you sold me a couple of years ago that's finally found a home in a machine (my original plans for the screw went south). I'll try repacking the other one when I clean the shed up (at the moment the interior is covered in Ali chips & WD40 from the machining of the various brackets for this conversion... not ideal environment for repacking!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Thread Information