. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Another question is for Machine Safety. I included a Killswitch which cuts the 230V input power completely. Now I read somewhere that its better to kill just the wires to the spindle, so that the capacitors cannot uncharge via the spindle and making the spindle down time longer? Is that true?
    Do you all use RCD Type B for your CNC with VFD?
    What ever you do. Do not put any switch between the spindle and the vfd as that would kill the vfd.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

It's also worth pointing out that an RCD will not give you any protection in the event of a shock from the output of the VFD, only from contact with the mains supply. The choice of RCD type relates to the risk of spurious tripping caused by earth leakage in the VFD input filter.

I built yet lots of 3D printers and such things and I have a solid education with electrics.
    Just VFDs are completely new to me. I found information that a B-Type RCD should be used cause of the direct current which might give an issue when using VFD.
    Its also important to know that between the outputs there should never be any switch, Thanks!

I found information that a B-Type RCD should be used cause of the direct current which might give an issue when using VFD.
    That's a new one on me. Would you mind giving a link to the info so we can all be educated.
    ..Clive

The maker of the program "Estlcam" mentioned that in a german forum:
    https://cncwerk.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611

Here is the same info:
    http://cnc.a-ueberbach.de/spindle/al...schalter_fircd

Translated with Google:
    Residual current circuit breaker (FI / RCD)

In the case of a fault, DC residual currents with low residual ripple or high-frequency pulsating fault currents can occur in frequency inverters, which do not recognize the residual current circuit breakers normally installed in a domestic installation (FI type A). Likewise, the possible DC components in the fault current can lead to a saturation of the coil installed in the FI and render it significantly less sensitive to alternating currents.
    According to VDE 0100-530, all-current-sensitive RCCBs (also known as RCD type B) must be installed here, but this entails costs of a few hundred euros.

Well I read the forum posts you linked to as the spindle is not correctly grounded (ie only through the screen) If the spindle only has a 3 pin plug then I always change that to a 4 pin and connect the 4th pin to the spindle socket screw. Then use 4 core to supply the spindle with its 3 phase and earth.
    ..Clive

Thats one thing, the other is to use the RCD Type B.

Quote Originally Posted by chefffe View Post
    Thats one thing, the other is to use the RCD Type B.
    Carry on then
    ..Clive

I'm still confident that no RCD of any type will offer protection against a shock from the output of a VFD, or indeed any other power supply which has a transformer and/or rectifier between the mains input and the output. I used to teach electrical safety (in a previous millenium!), including how RCDs work, and this was a key point which electrical/electronic engineers and technicians needed to understand, though I admit my own knowledge did not include an in-depth understanding of type A, B, C etc. devices. Having done some reading this morning I believe the differences relate to resistance to spurious tripping or failing to trip due to the presence of harmonics and other interference in the mains current waveforms which are a serious consequence of direct rectification of the mains as used in many switch-mode power supplies.
    On a happier note, the 2.2kW water cooled spindle I recently bought from the Hunag Yang Store on Ali Express already has a four pin plug with the case connected to pin 4.

Kit
    Last edited by Kitwn; 14-05-2019 at 01:55 AM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

My Spindle also had 4 pins connector but Pin No. 4 was not connected. Of course I did that as well. To ground the spindle is a must, to use this RCD type might not be 100% a must for hobby CNC but regarding VDE it should be used with any VFD. In case of a fire, it might be an issue with insurance maybe ... but thats the decision of everybodys own.
    Last edited by chefffe; 14-05-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information