. .

Thread: Stafford Knot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does anyone have a dxf file of a stafford knot? I need to incorporate it in a present for a friend.

Ta !

Rob-T

Hi Rob, don't know if this will help you or not, I just loaded an image into vectric aspire and used the "trace" function. Maybe you can do something with it if not suitable.

Stafford Knot.dxf

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to needleworks For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mate!

I think it is the same image I tried to trace with Inkscape, but I ended up with so many open vectors and duplicate vectors, I ended up abandoning my attempt.

I can't seem to upload a dxf file so here is a dropbox link to my attempt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1jbdxtw1d...taffs.dxf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Thanks Mate!

I think it is the same image I tried to trace with Inkscape, but I ended up with so many open vectors and duplicate vectors, I ended up abandoning my attempt.

Got it Rob, I can see why you had some problems with that file, it's massive !!! I actually struggled to open it.

Now that I can see what you're after, I've done another knot for you, not perfect by any means, but maybe something you could work with to get a start.

Stafford Knot 02.dxf

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Thanks Mate!

Rob
    I am happy to have a go if you are not fixed up.

There are a lot of duplicate lines etc. Do you want to engrave this ie do you want to have all the 35 odd islands as vectors and the outside shape as one vector, and the 3 big island as one vector

let me know
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks for the offer Clive, but I have it sorted now thanks to Needleworks. I will cut a test on ply tomorrow and if it looks OK then I will make some sapele shavings.

Cheers everyone, we have a heartwarming community here !

Rob-T

I have cut one Stafford Knot, and tried to resin embed it, but the resin is still sticky. So I tried again and my Kress spindle went pop, just near the end, with only the final cut-out to do.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2060.JPG 
Views:	379 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	25814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2059.JPG 
Views:	343 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	25815

The idea is to cut 7mm down in 8mm wood and then pour in water clear casting polyester resin. When the resin is set, then sand off the underneath.

I am not unhappy about the sodding spindle, I just need some new brushes. While I wait for them to come from Germany, I am converting it to use a Super-PID speed control, which I have had for ages, but never fitted (on the basis that the spindle was working OK).
    Last edited by cropwell; 29-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.

This is the first attempt, after sanding the back off and polishing the resin. There is still a shadow of the wood left on the back, but I am not going to revisit this one to sort it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2066.JPG 
Views:	364 
Size:	198.3 KB 
ID:	25829

The resin is still soft enough to take finger prints (so I am sending it for a job with Police Forensic Services)

Rob

Wow, that's really nice. It's a good technique to remember. Good job

After a bit of fettling, I managed to carve one with a bit of 3d about it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2077.JPG 
Views:	370 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	25943

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cropwell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information