. .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just a word of caution - phenol may attack and embrittle any plastic or rubber it comes into contact with.

My central heating header tank had a pint of cheap engine oil floating on top of the water to exclude oxygen. It worked well as it just stayed in the tank. Any oxygen in the water was soon boiled out.

Late to the thread but I’ve been using pc water cooling fluid for years and works fine. Lots on eBay such as EK-cryofuel.
    Claim they are non toxic, don’t corrode wide range of metals, have anti fungicide etc.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Late to the thread but I’ve been using pc water cooling fluid for years and works fine. Lots on eBay such as EK-cryofuel.
    Claim they are non toxic, don’t corrode wide range of metals, have anti fungicide etc.
    Of course ! Why did I not think of that, when most of the components I have for spindle cooling are out of a water cooled computer.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Of course ! Why did I not think of that, when most of the components I have for spindle cooling are out of a water cooled computer.
    Of course ! Why did I not think of that... as well! Though I've never water cooled a computer and I'm not using anything as swanky as a radiator in my system. Good idea.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

OK, so I was about to buy 'Mayhems Biocide Extreme' additive especially for PC cooling systems when I spotted a warning not to use it in aluminium systems. Since the body of my spindle is aluminium this is no good. I think it's time to just stick with the distilled water and nothing else!

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    OK, so I was about to buy 'Mayhems Biocide Extreme' additive especially for PC cooling systems when I spotted a warning not to use it in aluminium systems. Since the body of my spindle is aluminium this is no good. I think it's time to just stick with the distilled water and nothing else!

Kit
    The Chinese spindles look more like stainless steel to me. The end cap could be aluminium but the barbs go most of the way through up to the seal.

In any case the EK-Cryo fluid claims to be ok with SS Ali brass etc for corrosion and is not an additive. Just pour in neat.

I’ve used it for years without issues.
    https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/E...SABEgLHY_D_BwE
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Mine is SS, I just run plain good old water through mine. All I do is just change it every now and then. I don't really see much point in using expensive cooling agents for such.

Just back from a few days digital detox at Point Samson. No CNC machine, no internet!

A lot of the PC cooling fluid appears to be incredibly expensive eye candy, all swirly pearl effect colours. My key concern was the water going green (on it's own) which hasn't happened so far, so I'm sticking with plain distilled water for now.

Kit

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information