. .
    i have always wanted to learn how to use a lathe. I studied electronic engineering but through life's many turns have found myself working as a technical writer in central Italy for a manufacturing company. I have been very impressed by Italian engineering and I wish they had the same high levels when it comes to service. I have recently learnt to weld but seeing the engineers in the shop has spurred me on to get a lathe

Through research I have found this site and a member has helped me narrow down my choice. I look forward to learning from all of you in the very near future

Lives in Leeds, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-12-2022 Has been a member for 5-6 years. Has a total post count of 116. Received thanks 16 times, giving thanks to others 21 times.
    Rule number one with a lathe. Keep the chuck key out of the chuck when not in use! Rule number two is don't wear long sleeves or articles that can be wrapped around the work! Following those you should have no problem learning, welcome!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RobC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    Rule number one with a lathe. Keep the chuck key out of the chuck when not in use! Rule number two is don't wear long sleeves or articles that can be wrapped around the work! Following those you should have no problem learning, welcome!
    As an apprentice and a 12 week machinist appreciation stint (I was a spark) for an engineering firm - remove all rings. And check the chuck is secure.

Of course, advice is one thing...
    Last edited by Doddy; 24-05-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Hi Steven,

The other bit of advice is to rotate the chuck at least 1 rotation by hand before starting. 99.9% of the time it will be fine, but it is always possible that the chuck jaws can hit the cross slide, especially when holding larger parts (they protrude further from the chuck).

The WM250V model I have also has a powered cross slide. After using the lathe for many years I think it is not a vital feature, and face machining by hand is usually fine.

If you want to see mine in action have a look on my channel here as an example (skip past the rambling if you like to 10:27).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRcvbDO1FgE

And here in the CNC build at 08:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijVFCKuLPc

Thanks
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thread Information