. .

Thread: DIY CNC Machine

Hi all,
    I've finished my first CNC build, a three-axis router with a wooden frame. With all my DIY projects I usually try to incorporate natural materials where possible. For the CNC project, it has also helped me to keep the costs in check and the stiffness seems to be quite high. I've documented the building process in the following two videos. For the ones planning a similar build, you can find all the parts links in the descriptions of the videos.

Since this was my first build I'd love to hear your feedback. Thank you, Roman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumbnail_CNC_1.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	25805  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BooTec For This Useful Post:

Nice work Roman. My first CNC machine was plywood and it actually worked quite well and I made a lot of parts with it although in the end I found its limitations and it evolved to all metal parts. Things like relaxation of torque of the gantry screws as the wood starts to compress over time, and frame flex when pushed harder creating oval circles.

As I’m sure you know the wood stiffness is up to ~15 gPa whereas aluminium is 70 gPa and steel 210 gPa. But you have used good hardware so if you need to upgrade it will be easier. I also started with a router but the noise was terrible so upgraded to a water cooled spindle.

Hope you have fun with it !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

A very nice build, I'm envious of your woodworking shop! I started with a couple of wooden machines but nothing like yours. The only common feature was the Makita trimmer as a spindle.
    I'd say the weakest part of you build is the use of a single layer of ply for the gantry side cheeks. This will show up when one of your long axis motors stalls and the other does not

As routercnc says you have a good set of components to allow for future upgrades to a metal framed machine. I managed to scrounge up enough box section steel from the local tip to build all the frame and gantry for my current design so it was actually the cheapest upgrade of all! I've also upgraded to the ubiquitous 2.2kW water cooled spindle recently which is a joy to the ears(and the neighbours) after the Makita.

All you have to do now is work out what you're going to make with it!

Kit

PS If you like a laugh, there's a video of my first machine here. At least it proved I was capable of making something that worked but wasn't really viable as it stood.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Thank you routercnc. Of course, I don't have any long term experience with this machine as yet and upgrades will surely follow. I'm very much looking forward to machine more projects and updates will follow on the channel.

Thank you for the feedback Kitwn. Yes, having access to a workshop with professional machines is a nice privilege.
    The gantry sides were my concern as well but it now seems as if the machine had greater stiffness in the X direction than in the Y direction. But as you said, only time will tell and it can be modified.
    I wouldn't laugh about your first machine, now that I know how much work it takes to build one.

Roman,
    That first effort was really a minimal cost experiment to test my own capability, built using what I could buy locally as far as possible. Plan A was to mount my Dremmel on it but I bought the Makita in a rash moment
    One of my main lessons over several years of upgrades and rebuilds has been the amount of time and money you can waste by not being brave enough to commit to the design you really need to achieve results you will be satisfied with. I look forward to seeing what you make with your new machine on Boo Tec.

Kit
    Last edited by Kitwn; 29-05-2019 at 02:08 AM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

This model MYSWEETY CNC 3018-PRO of the machine will be as good as what you show? I don't have much experience, and I need a rookie machine. I understand that this path will require constant investment of money, but I do not know where to start :(

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
    This model MYSWEETY CNC 3018-PRO of the machine will be as good as what you show? I don't have much experience, and I need a rookie machine. I understand that this path will require constant investment of money, but I do not know where to start :(
    No that won't be anywhere near as strong. Everything about it is wrong.! The unsupported rails are the biggest issue because they allow vibrations and are very weak. The screws look like Lead screws not ball-screws and the way they mount looks very poor so they will most likely have lots of backlash.

I would avoid this machine like the plague.!

Thread Information