. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    But what can i do about it?

It should be covered in the user manual, parameter manual or commissioning manual for the drive.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    It should be covered in the user manual, parameter manual or commissioning manual for the drive.
    Not with these drives, manual is chinglish i'm afraid

Sorry Dave, I only buy stuff with well written English Language manuals ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What happens if you up rpm/v to 400?

There may also be a setting somewhere for maximum motor frequency.

In fact, I've just had a scan of the manual I have and notice the following paramters-
    PN020 - Rated speed setting
    PN051 - Motor top running speed limit
    PN198 - Torque Control speed limit (should only apply in torque mode, but I assume you are using Speed Control mode?)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    What happens if you up rpm/v to 400?

There may also be a setting somewhere for maximum motor frequency.

In fact, I've just had a scan of the manual I have and notice the following paramters-
    PN020 - Rated speed setting
    PN051 - Motor top running speed limit
    PN198 - Torque Control speed limit (should only apply in torque mode, but I assume you are using Speed Control mode?)
    Yes speed mode, I have tweaked..
    PN158 - Gain
    PN159 - Zero offset
    PN051 - Top Speed

Will check PN020 - rated speed.

I think i listed what happened when i tweaked RPM/V or Gain setting - it altered the acceleration ramp one way and lowered the top speed the other way, both expected results really, I have it on 305rpm/V now which was determined with a bench supply at 10v and tweaked gain to give 3000rpm. It made no difference though.

Maybe the rated speed AND the max speed need to be slightly above where i want to run say 3010rpm? Just guessing here as this is going way beyond my knowledge but could it be the controller calling for 3000 and the motor never quite giving it hence the following error rise????

I think I have fixed it :)

Two parameters -

PN020 - Motor rated speed - this is set by default motor settings
    PN051 - Motor Max Speed - this is a user adjustable one

PN051 Max was set at 3000 - i had tweaked this before but not the other one as it's a default setup one.

I have now set both to 3050rpm and away she goes :)

My working theory is that the controller was calling for 3000 but the drive was maxing out somewhere around 2990 - where it faulted so it was stuck in an endless fault loop - controller saying "I want more” and the drive saying “you can't have it”

Short video…

https://youtu.be/ksGlgcCWO4s

I think it makes sense??

Also in the video you can see it runs with a error of about 1980 - is that god, bad, ugly??

I can tune it but have not idea of tuning spindles - as said above, they are nothing like axes drives.

Thanks for all the help BTW.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 19 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    What I meant was set rpm/v to something like 350 or 400 rpm/v so there is plenty headroom, just to eliminate the drive not seeing the full 10 volts. Due to various factors, the drive might never see the full 10V, so if you set a higher rpm/V, then the drive should max out long before 10V is needed.

What you are saying is roughly correct.
    Mach requests 3000rpm from the controller, which then increases the voltage to achieve that speed, however the speed maxes out at 2990rpm despite the controller outputting maximum voltage, meaning you then have an ever increasing following error of 10rpm.

Have you checked what speed the drive thinks the motor is doing?
    You can normally configure the drive to show motor speed on the display, and if you have a discrepancy between the drive and the controller, then there could be a totally separate issue.

Regarding allowable following error. As long as you're not doing positional work, then I wouldn't be too concerned. Being a couple revolutions away from commanded destination isn't likely to cause any issues when turning (thread cutting would normally work of actual position, not destination so the lag shouldn't cause any problems), however I would expect to be able to get position within a few hundred counts reliably.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thanks. I did et a reply from CS-Labs shortly after posting, they did confirm that you cannot expect to pid-tune a servo to 3000 if its limited internally to 3000, they also advised, for the same reason to increase the gain to 400rpm/V - this was again to increase headroom and allow Pid to do its thing.

Its working now, error is about 2500 but thats because i only have P value set - seems adding any I or D causes issues, adding I seems to lower the error, i can get it down to about 200, but it makes it wobble at zero point and very unstable at speeds < 800 rpm, it gets very jerky at low speeds with I values.

I have set a following error of 8000 IIRC and its still working well, i even made a batch of parts for the first time today :)

BTW, the drive does report speed correctly, verified with a hand-tacho but it did not show voltage correctly, 10v applied showed as something like 9.89v i think it was
    Last edited by Davek0974; 28-05-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information