. .
    Hey guys,

can anyone help in letting me know which software would be best suited to cutting the attached part. ive tred Cut3D (May be doing it wrong) but i just cant seem to figure it out. been away from the machine for a while doing this sort of stuff

Basically its a 200mm dia circle but i need to mill away the top to get the 1050mm radus cutting the rest is fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1050 Dia Hatch.PDF 
Views:	289 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	25884

My idea would be to make a 3D model of it then import it as an stl file. CamBam for example could easily cut it in that manner or any other software that can make a 3D toolpath from an stl model.
    The bolt holes and central cutout would be standard 2D operations

If it's any help I've attached an stl model, 200mm dia. with a 1050mm radius top and 20mm sides at the highest.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 13-06-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

I haven't used cut3D ,but I would imagine that since the latest release of Vcarve pro will generate toolpaths for 3D objects from an .stl file you ought to be able to find a way.Have you looked at the Vectric tutorials on youtube?They might just jog the memory If you have done this sort of thing before.

Cheers lads, this are now coming back to me on the 3D side after seeing your files. also thanks to the PM's helping also its very much appreciated!

I whats having a play with Fusion360 and this also seems promising but thats a whole new learning curve

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >I whats having a play with Fusion360 and this also seems promising but thats a whole new learning curve

Stick with it, once the penny drops it's well worth it..!

Quote Originally Posted by Wal View Post
    >I whats having a play with Fusion360 and this also seems promising but thats a whole new learning curve

Stick with it, once the penny drops it's well worth it..!
    Yeah it seems good. Only thing I can’t figure out is once the centre is cut out to just kill the face of the circle rather than a 200mm square. Looking at getting the machining time down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In CamBam for example you would set up two boundary lines, one for the outer diameter and one for the inner. Next, convert the space between those boundary lines to a "Region", the 3D machining operation would then restrict itself to the defined Region.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	region.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	190.3 KB 
ID:	25893  
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 14-06-2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to EddyCurrent For This Useful Post:

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Similarly, in F360, depending on what tool strategy you have chosen, there is often a way of telling the program which surfaces you want to cut or avoid. Check out the pics below. It's as easy as ticking the touch/avoid checkbox and selecting a face. Very neat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avoid_01.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	25894 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avoid_02.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	25895

Wal.

Cut 3d can product the g code for this part. Test the g code in an edit program before wasting material.

>Cut 3d can product the g code for this part. Test the g code in an edit program before wasting material.

It can indeed, but it's pretty inefficient in how it lets you choose which bits to cut (it doesn't) and how it calculates the paths. It basically does everything in one go, well, two - a rough and and a final. The biggest issue is that steep walled models such as this will be pretty gouged around those top edges...

I like Cut 3D / VCarve - Cut 3D works really well with organic models, but for something like this I'd go with F360 every time. The control you get makes you question how you ever did without..!

Wal.

Thread Information