. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all, I need some advice, I am in the process of building my own cnc machine, based on one I have seen on the openbuild website, the machine is nearly built (pictures to follow) I am getting close to putting together the enclosure for all the electronics, been looking around on the internet for some guidance and ideas, when I came across the Masso cnc controller, is anyone using one or has had any experience using one of these, I like the idea of not having to use a pc, I have bought a kit from cnc4you, comprising of Nema 23 4n (8 wires) and the CW5045 Microstepping Drivers, I also have a 1.5kw water cooled spindle with the vfd. Any advice or thoughts would be very helpful. Thank you

All in one controllers seem to be the way things are going. Certainly a bargin when you consider the price of software + controller + PC.

The documentation doesn't look as detailed as I would like, but the videos seem good and I'm sure you'd be able to talk to them about any issues. Be aware that the user base probably isn't there yet for googling support issues, so if the company's support is no good you're in trouble. Having said that, their forums are small but look reasonably active, with feature request threads getting some attention which is always a good sign. I suggest you have a read of this forum before purchasing to get an insider's view.

You'll probably lose the ability to tinker and adapt\extend the system as much as you might be able to with other options, and you're quite locked in to their software, so make sure you like the look of that first! I'd also be wanting a decent warranty on this; with a PC its pretty simple to fix when it breaks, and with a standard controller worst case is just replacing the PCB, but I can see that if something on this breaks it messes up everything and gets expensive fast.
    Last edited by AndyUK; 14-06-2019 at 01:25 PM.

These look good to me as an integrated option, but surely you will need a PC anyway for designing what you are going to be cutting /
    Assuming you will need some sort of PC anyway look at the cnc drive one with the built in BOB http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=1009. Pretty cheap option and UCCNC is good too.

I run my machine on a pc worth about £100 with a UC300 eth controller and UCCNC.

Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    All in one controllers seem to be the way things are going. Certainly a bargin when you consider the price of software + controller + PC.

The documentation doesn't look as detailed as I would like, but the videos seem good and I'm sure you'd be able to talk to them about any issues. Be aware that the user base probably isn't there yet for googling support issues, so if the company's support is no good you're in trouble. Having said that, their forums are small but look reasonably active, with feature request threads getting some attention which is always a good sign. I suggest you have a read of this forum before purchasing to get an insider's view.

You'll probably lose the ability to tinker and adapt\extend the system as much as you might be able to with other options, and you're quite locked in to their software, so make sure you like the look of that first! I'd also be wanting a decent warranty on this; with a PC its pretty simple to fix when it breaks, and with a standard controller worst case is just replacing the PCB, but I can see that if something on this breaks it messes up everything and gets expensive fast.
    To be honest it is a minefield out there, so many choices, I have had a look at the warranty, and it is 12 months, from what I can gather their support is really good, I am totally new to cnc, and this is my first build, so the easier it is to set up the better, I do have an old pc, which I could use, I have all the hardware to get me going, I would just need to purchase the Mach3 software.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie78 View Post
    These look good to me as an integrated option, but surely you will need a PC anyway for designing what you are going to be cutting /
    Assuming you will need some sort of PC anyway look at the cnc drive one with the built in BOB http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=1009. Pretty cheap option and UCCNC is good too.

I run my machine on a pc worth about £100 with a UC300 eth controller and UCCNC.

Ollie
    I intend to use a separate laptop or pc to run Fusion 360, I do have an old pc which I could use to run Mach3 on, I will have a look at the link you provided. Thank you

I don`t think the cncdrive stuff works with mach 3 but UCCNC is a viable replacement for mach 3 and has great support at the forum. Its cheaper and works fine as far as I can tell. Some say Mach 3 is better for some things like rigid tapping ,but I don`t need that feature and it has worked great for me so far.

Ollie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
    ...I have had a look at the warranty, and it is 12 months, from what I can gather their support is really good....
    Their returns policy is amusingly clunky - obviously just a cut and paste jobby "Several types of goods are exempt from being returned. Perishable goods such as food, flowers, newspapers or magazines cannot be returned. We also do not accept products that are intimate or sanitary goods, hazardous materials, or flammable liquids or gases".

Their claim that "MASSO is the most stable, reliable, and easy-to-use CNC controller money can buy..." seems rather bold and perhaps rather difficult to back up with facts, not least given that have have only been going a few years now.

They look like an interesting option but you still need a keyboard, monitor etc, unlike truly all in one controllers such as the Adtech, Newker / Newkye etc examples.

I remember i discarded this controller at the time for some reason. Just visited their page and -oh yeah : 110kHz pulse rate on each axis. At that price? Thanks but not.

Have not been here almost an year, so i don't know if anything better developed, but probably DDCSV for ~200$ could not be beaten. After changing 5-6 from cheap to very expensive controllers on my build, at the moment i installed the cheapo dedicated controller all my problems magically disappeared
    2 years already, no problems at all, no glitches, no crap. I am making money, not playing with old computers, stupid software and so on.
    Dedicated controller could not be beaten for a general type machine. I should have spend more and bought the bigger brothers in metal body, threading and staff, but it works, so no problems at all..
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I remember i discarded this controller at the time for some reason. Just visited their page and -oh yeah : 110kHz pulse rate on each axis. At that price? Thanks but not.

Have not been here almost an year, so i don't know if anything better developed, but probably DDCSV for ~200$ could not be beaten. After changing 5-6 from cheap to very expensive controllers on my build, at the moment i installed the cheapo dedicated controller all my problems magically disappeared
    2 years already, no problems at all, no glitches, no crap. I am making money, not playing with old computers, stupid software and so on.
    Dedicated controller could not be beaten for a general type machine. I should have spend more and bought the bigger brothers in metal body, threading and staff, but it works, so no problems at all..
    I did not know, that there are so many stand alone controllers, there are so many to choose from, and it makes my life even more difficult,

10. Quote Originally Posted by Paul53 View Post
    I did not know, that there are so many stand alone controllers, there are so many to choose from, and it makes my life even more difficult,

Have you had any luck finding an all in one controller yet, or have you decided to go with a PC system?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information