. .
    Hi
    I work in a design technology department in a high school and we have a John Brennan cnc router after a briefing on how to use it, it appears they have been using the 2d Design software to produce the initial project then transferring it into CamBam to produce the G code and then finally running the router through Mach 3. As we are hoping the students can use this on their own, I'm looking for a solution to running it straight from 2D design, which is what they use from year 7. Having used 2D design before to run Roland CNC milling machines, I was hoping to do the same with this current machine.
    Not having a massive wealth of knowledge in this area any help/advice will be gratefully received.

Paul D.

The normal workflow is to complete the 2D design and then to use some form of CAM program to generate the Gcode.It is the CAM program that will contain the tool library and it's associated speeds and feeds.It will also take the toolpath information through a post processor that will add information about whether the part is intended for metric or imperial units and the distance by which the toolpath has to be offset to compensate for the tool radius.There will be other statements added to move the tool clear of the part when transitioning from one area to another without ploughing through the part and to start and stop the spindle motor.

Mach 3 is a bit outmoded now,but a lot of users are persevering with it largely due,I suspect, to familiarity.Alternatives are UCCNC or LinuxCNC and at a push GRBL or one of the other Arduino based solutions.I have to say that having watched a few Arduino based systems running in youtube videos they might be improved by having a three second delay included in the program after starting the spindle motor as they seem to still be ramping up to speed as the cut starts.
    Did the suppliers of the machine neglect to provide training or recommendations about software?

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    I'm guessing Paul is talking about "2D design" the software package (which includes CAM), rather than the specific two-dimensional design.

https://www.techsoft.co.uk/Products/Software/2DDesignV2

But ultimately routerdriver is correct, you need to do the CAM part of the software to generate the GCode for Mach3 to accept. If you've used the software package before to do this before though, I'm not sure what your question is!

This sounds like a post processor question

Your old work flow used to be:

“2D Design” - CAD
    “2D Design” - CAM
    “2D Design” - CAM post processor to Roland CNC

Your current workflow is:
    “2D Design” - CAD
    “CamBam” - CAM
    “CamBam” - CAM post processor to John Brennan CNC

The main reason I guess is that 2D Design does not list your new machine on the post processor list?

If you want to stay all inside 2D Design software you would have to try a few PPs on the list (assuming there is a list) to see if they run your machine or get someone to write a custom PP for your new machine.

Work around might be use 2D Design CAM to post out gcode with the nearest compatible PP and hand edit (find replace) any offending commands. This would only work if there were minor differences and has to be done for every gcode file created.

Ask2D Design if they have a PP for your new machine and/or tell the machine supplier that you need a PP that runs inside 2D Design.

Another idea is to migrate to Fusion360 as this has a long list of PPs and has CAD CAM combined and is free for education use.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Thread Information