. .

Thread: Quick question

Hey there!
    I got a quick question, I was looking to see if anybody happened to know about supplying power to a uc300eth-5lpt motion controller. It requires an external 5vdc power supply (that supplies more than 0.5 amps). So I have a phone power supply that meets these requirements but I was curious why I don't see others using a phone power supply. My question is as follows; is it okay to use a phone power supply rather than one of those metal enclosed box power supplies?? Would there be any reasons against using a phone power supply??

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtar40 View Post
    Hey there!
    I got a quick question, I was looking to see if anybody happened to know about supplying power to a uc300eth-5lpt motion controller. It requires an external 5vdc power supply (that supplies more than 0.5 amps). So I have a phone power supply that meets these requirements but I was curious why I don't see others using a phone power supply. My question is as follows; is it okay to use a phone power supply rather than one of those metal enclosed box power supplies?? Would there be any reasons against using a phone power supply??

Thanks in advance!!!

It's a lottery with phone chargers as there are so many knock offs around and you can't guarantee how good they are with regulation.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Or indeed safety!

Not all phone chargers are regulated that well and may be close enough to charge a battery but

not good enough to power my expensive uc300eth if I had one

Cheap chinese chargers can be very dangerous with poor insulation between the mains supply and the 5V DC output

https://youtu.be/bNoGCdX1IdQ

John

Have a look at the 5V DIN rail mounted supplies. The Meanwell branded ones are around £12 shipped (to UK). This is assuming you will have a control box with everything inside as the mains terminals are potentially accessible.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I agree with routercnc, i use them too. Much better option than phone psu

Hey there!

Thanks in advance!!!

The EC300eth-5lpt requires 5V at 0.5A. So, any device that outputs 5V and is capable of doing so whilst supplying 0.5A is adequate. Provided that a supply does provide 5V at 0.5A it's no better and no worse than the next supply, the UC300eth is no snob as to what label it gets it's power from. The issue is really how well the device regulates to 5V and the reliable performance through the load unto and including 0.5A.

Some of the sentiments in here I will support - cheap nasty Chinese PSUs can be awful, the problem is however that you might find these badged inside something altogether more fashionable. Some 5V phone chargers are very good - I'd be reasonably happy to use any major branded names (Apple, Samsung, etc) should I need to. DIN rail supplies?, these can work very well on the premise of you using a DIN rail - but otherwise you're adding a mounting complication to your solution. My first build of my recent controller used a pulled Hewlett Packard supply but that failed due to lack of cooling/air-flow, and of all things I replaced it with a LM2596 variable switched-mode single-board package - works perfectly fine.

Those "metal enclosed box power supplies" - if you mean the usual perforated caged PSUs that are dirt cheap - these are generally okay though usually massively over-specced for the low current requirement of the UC300 - I'd be cautious about poor regulation at such low power.
    Last edited by Doddy; 05-07-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Hey there!

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Jtar40,

I have the same card.

Some people dont trust the phone adapters to deliver within UC specs.

I have run it from a samsung charger with no problems.

I have a 12v 4A/5v 3A standard PC type brick now.

Just because it had 12 and 5 in one unit
    I need 12 because of the case cooling fan.

Grtz. Bert.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A320FL met Tapatalk

Thread Information