. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Hour Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I've been doing a bit research for a potential new machine build, and an epoxy granite base is looking like the preferred constructions method.

However, I've not found much information about the various options for mounting linear rails.
    I've come across builds that use complete internal frames surrounded by EG, ones with mounting surfaces held in position with a basic internal skeleton, ones that use steel rails cast in, ones with just inserts cast in, and ones with inserts epoxied in after casting.

Is there any reputable information covering the options, or is it just a case of picking what you think will work best for your own individual requirements?
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 9 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,601. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Based on my own experience with Thor Id probably advise thinking about mounting and incorporating this in your main pour / build.

Alternately epoxying afterwards is manageable but think about the holes in advance and you have some risk here with respect to getting the mounting flat / solid once you try and pour / glue the nuts in place.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Hour Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Based on my own experience with Thor Id probably advise thinking about mounting and incorporating this in your main pour / build.

Alternately epoxying afterwards is manageable but think about the holes in advance and you have some risk here with respect to getting the mounting flat / solid once you try and pour / glue the nuts in place.
    My current thinking is to go for embedding mounting strips into the cast, similar to this French build - https://www.usinages.com/threads/fab...e-epoxy.15107/ as it will provide an excellent key into the EG.
    And then I can machine them if needed, as the potential size means I should have the capacity to fit it in a mill.

I can understand the big benefit of doing it the way you did, is it means alignment should be far better, with no need for any major machining/scraping.

I'm dubious about the benefits of putting a complete frame inside a cast, as to me that has the potential to create some quite large stresses as temperature changes.

However I'd really like some real information about the various methods, as everything I found so far, seems to be done whatever way the builder thought was best.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information