. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I have owned a 6040 CNC machine for about ten years now, but due circumstances I am only now getting to set it up properly. It did run and complete a job but since then I know windows 7 will no longer be updating next year,mach 3 does not like windows 10. Do I upgrade to Windows 10 and to mach 4?
    As I have my CNC controller using a parallel cable if I upgrade to mach 4 do I need to change the inards of the controller to accept a usb system? Thanks

If you use the windows 7 PC just to control the machine and don't let it connect to the internet
    you don't neet to change it
    "If it aint broke don't fix it" comes to mind

At a later date if your windows 7 PC fails and you have to use a new PC
    you can look at using a windows 10 PC and motion controller ,like a UC100 USB Motion Controller ,
    that plugs into the machines printer port connector to save modifying the machine

A more expensive and involved upgrade would be to go for some thing like a ethernet smoothstepper

John
    Last edited by john swift; 04-08-2019 at 11:18 AM.

Hi John. I think I'm looking to sort it with the least amount of grief and the most amount of longevity. I heard people having hassle going from parallel to usb so if it meant a bit of modification to cater for the usb I don't mind investing.

I think you'd find a lot of support to upgrading to Ethernet, rather than USB - there are some people here that have had problems with intermittent issues with USB in a high electrical noise environment. To this end, the admirable UC100 can be replaced instead with the EC300ETH, EC400ETH or AXBB-E devices from CNCDrive - works well with Mach3 and their own UCCNC software. These can plug directly (with suitable cable, of course) into the existing parallel interface that you have on your controller.

Thanks Doddy, I'm taking all and any advice on this as it's an investment for me to hopefully grow into something decent.

If it were mine I would avoid Windoze 10 like the plague. I've had 2 apps stop working in the last 9 months after Windoze decided (even though I had automatic updates notionally switched off) to "upgrade" itself. Microsoft obviously have a "if it ain't broke, nobble it" kind of attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    I think you'd find a lot of support to upgrading to Ethernet, rather than USB - there are some people here that have had problems with intermittent issues with USB in a high electrical noise environment. To this end, the admirable UC100 can be replaced instead with the EC300ETH, EC400ETH or AXBB-E devices from CNCDrive - works well with Mach3 and their own UCCNC software. These can plug directly (with suitable cable, of course) into the existing parallel interface that you have on your controller.
    Hi Doddy. Is getting say the AXBB-E , a big deal or is it fairly doable for someone semi competent. Do i need to pull stuff out of my existing controller (boards etc) I managed to exchange a faulty motor driver without any drama.

Give us a picture inside your control box to help us understand what you have.

You can find a recommended wiring scheme on the CNC Drive website. If you understand that, and understand what's in the control box then you should be able to work it out easily.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    This might be preaching to the choir, but I just wanted to echo the Ethernet sentiment.
    Puruvesi Automation engineer working on the myCNC project.

Sorry all for taking so long to reply. What with Christmas an all. Doddy you asked me for a pic, I am trying to attach one here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information