. .

View Poll Results: Which profiles should I use?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 series aluminium profiles (80x80 and 80x160)

0 0%
  • 45 series aluminium profiles (90x90 and 90x180)

1 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    you need to only drill a hole a specific distance from the end. if you need us to do this we can do this for a cost, but i will need to know how many.
    But it is quite simple to do.
    We normally use an end mill to get a flat base to the hole.
    I see, thanks for the information.

By the way, do you also offer HIWIN linear rails and HIWIN ball screws or some brand that is of equivalent quality or better?

IMO best is to use Rectangular profiles and design carefully the machine. They cost half as the Square and even in design are more useful to form the structure.

When i see a machine made from square profiles or it looks overbuild and ugly, or underbuild. I would concentrate on each part to be made from the perfect profile for the job, not trying to do all from one profile.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Yes I plan to use 90x90 for the base and Y-axis. For the X-axis I will use 90x180 and for the Z-axis there will be machined aluminium plates. Is this what you meant?

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Yes,

I like overbuild, but isn't that a bit too much for 1000mm machine?

If you have experience with welding why don't you make the machine from 100x100x3 profile steel and use aluminum for the gantry and Z only?? And maybe for the YA if you prefer and all esle from steel

I don't like the type of connection you are showing. For me best is or plate or angle. And now angles are so cheap, i would use only angles and a couple of plates.

5. We do PMI, TBI and Gten.
    Gten is our old range and we are discontinuing nad replacing with PMI and TBI
    Gten is on sale at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicCnc View Post
    I see, thanks for the information.

By the way, do you also offer HIWIN linear rails and HIWIN ball screws or some brand that is of equivalent quality or better?
    Last edited by Gary; 09-08-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Yes,

I like overbuild, but isn't that a bit too much for 1000mm machine?

If you have experience with welding why don't you make the machine from 100x100x3 profile steel and use aluminum for the gantry and Z only?? And maybe for the YA if you prefer and all esle from steel

I don't like the type of connection you are showing. For me best is or plate or angle. And now angles are so cheap, i would use only angles and a couple of plates.
    My machine that I currently have is 1000mm long as well. That one is buily from steel, welded 50x50x3. I will probably not be able to mill the surfaces of my new machine with my existing one, since it is not rigid enough for effective steel milling.

As for the connections, those are really strong and requires absolutely 0 machining, which is why I like them. What is it about them that you dont like? How accurate are angles and where can I get those cheap?

My machine that I currently have is 1000mm long as well. That one is buily from steel, welded 50x50x3. I will probably not be able to mill the surfaces of my new machine with my existing one, since it is not rigid enough for effective steel milling.

As for the connections, those are really strong and requires absolutely 0 machining, which is why I like them. What is it about them that you dont like? How accurate are angles and where can I get those cheap?

I buy angles, plates and profiles from Motedis, bolts and nuts 100% from China, sometimes angles and plates from China too. there is another supplier from Germany that can ship long profiles and screws

You can weld the base and epoxy level it, or shim directly the rails or use smaller and cheaper aluminum profile on top / AY/ and shim profile, all rest from aluminum

Aluminum profile may be perfectly straight or maybe not, whatever the case for a properly made machine you will need a straight edge as long as your X/gantry and at least 2 precision squares. there is no way one to make a good machine without that.

I buy angles, plates and profiles from Motedis, bolts and nuts 100% from China, sometimes angles and plates from China too. there is another supplier from Germany that can ship long profiles and screws

You can weld the base and epoxy level it, or shim directly the rails or use smaller and cheaper aluminum profile on top / AY/ and shim profile, all rest from aluminum

Aluminum profile may be perfectly straight or maybe not, whatever the case for a properly made machine you will need a straight edge as long as your X/gantry and at least 2 precision squares. there is no way one to make a good machine without that.
    If I weld the base, wont I have to stress relief it then? Or would it be enough to weld and just use epoxy right after for leveling?

If I weld the base, wont I have to stress relief it then? Or would it be enough to weld and just use epoxy right after for leveling?
    Using 100x100 profile or any = no problem. But the key is in the welding. Welding no more than 2 inch at a time from different sides and checking with laser thermometer for the temperature of the beam overall not to rise more than 60 degree C will do the trick. It must be done with patience and cleverness.

If you read my building log you will see that it took me some time to weld my big machine, but it was worth it.

And as i said many times before, 100x100x3 is the ideal material for big strong CNC.

Using 100x100 profile or any = no problem. But the key is in the welding. Welding no more than 2 inch at a time from different sides and checking with laser thermometer for the temperature of the beam overall not to rise more than 60 degree C will do the trick. It must be done with patience and cleverness.

If you read my building log you will see that it took me some time to weld my big machine, but it was worth it.

And as i said many times before, 100x100x3 is the ideal material for big strong CNC.
    I did not check but I guess the moment of inertia will be higher for the steel 100x100x3 compared to aluminium extrusion 90x90, even thought 90x90 has a larger cross-sectional area?

What about skipping the welding and bolting the steel frame together with angular plates or plates? That would also make it possible to disassemble the machine if you need to move it around (hopefully not) at some point.

What kind of epoxi should be used for the leveling? I have never done that before. By the way, thanks for all the answers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information