. .

View Poll Results: Which profiles should I use?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 40 series aluminium profiles (80x80 and 80x160)

0 0%
  • 45 series aluminium profiles (90x90 and 90x180)

1 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum but I have built a CNC mil before and also converted a manual lathe to CNC, so the subject of DIY CNC is familiar to me. The CNC mill was built with 50x50x3 steel profiles and was welded mostly. The linear rails were also the bad version and not Hiwin rails. The spindle motor is a HF 1.5kW water cooled.

I have now started designing a new build. It will be a moving gantry build that I want to be able to machine aluminium with, and steel if possible. I intend to use following components for the build:
    • 2.2kW HF spindle, water cooled
    • Nema 23 servomotors, brand JMC iHSV57-30-18-36, 2x on Y-axis, 1x on X-axis and 1x on Z axis.
    • 20mm Hiwin linear rails, 2x on Y-axis (1000mm), 2x on X-axis (800mm) and 2x on Z-axis (400mm)
    • 1610 ball screws, 2x on Y-axis (1000mm), 2x on X-axis (800mm) and 1x on Z-axis (400mm).

The frame I have decided to build with aluminium profiles. In my country there is a company called Movetec, selling aluminium profiles (MiniTec Profile Systems). They have 45 series profiles which I am interested in but they are rather expensive, compared to 40 series profiles from Ebay Germany. The 45 series profiles looks very robust and they are also offering fastening solution called MiniTec Power-lock. This solution requires zero drilling/preparation of the profiles. This is the reason why am I am having a hard time deciding which profiles to go for, since they do not offer this fastening solutions for 40 series profiles. The cross sections of each profile can be seen in the attached pictures.

MiniTec Prices:
    • 90 x 90 S: 110$/meter (MiniTec)
    • 90 x 180 S: 200$/meter (MiniTec)
    • MiniTec Power-Lock: 5$/qty
    • 90 x 90 L: Did not ask the price for these but I can imagine I could save a few $ compared to 90 x 90 S.

Ebay Germany Prices:
    • 80 x 80 L: 50$/meter (Ebay Germany)
    • 80 x 160 L: 100$/meter (Ebay Germany)
    • Fastener for 40 series: 5$/qty (Ebay Germany)

What do you guys think? Is it overkill to go with the 45 series profiles only because of the fastening solution? Are those profiles significantly better than 40 series profiles? Also advice on component selection is very welcome. I can provide picture of the 3D design (done in Siemens NX) later this week.

There is also a poll for 40 series and 45 series for you to cast a vote on!

Best regards,
    NordicCNC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80 x 160 L.PNG 
Views:	186 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	26174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80 x 80 L.PNG 
Views:	158 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	26173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90 x 90 L.PNG 
Views:	174 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	26175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90 x 90 S.PNG 
Views:	168 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	26176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90 x 180 S.PNG 
Views:	156 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	26177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MiniTec Power-lock.PNG 
Views:	178 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	26178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fastener 40 series.PNG 
Views:	143 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	26179  

In the final analysis, rigidity is the most important thing, so check the figures for the moments of inertia (Ix, Iy) for the different profiles before making your choice. There are also other vendors/manufacturers such as Motedis, Item, Maunsystem, Misumi and KJN in the UK.

3. As well as Kanya.
    Kanya is not the cheapest, but is the best in the marketplace, with a very wide range of extrusions and excessories.
    Also there is extrusions that are heavy duty as well as the light so if you need more rigidity, use the heavy versions.
    We sell Kanya by the way. ;0)
    https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/mec...sions-236.html

We also have some Isel extrusion thats on sale as well.

https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/sto...xtrusions.html

Quote Originally Posted by Voicecoil View Post
    In the final analysis, rigidity is the most important thing, so check the figures for the moments of inertia (Ix, Iy) for the different profiles before making your choice. There are also other vendors/manufacturers such as Motedis, Item, Maunsystem, Misumi and KJN in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    As well as Kanya.
    Kanya is not the cheapest, but is the best in the marketplace, with a very wide range of extrusions and excessories.
    Also there is extrusions that are heavy duty as well as the light so if you need more rigidity, use the heavy versions.
    We sell Kanya by the way. ;0)
    https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/mec...sions-236.html

We also have some Isel extrusion thats on sale as well.

https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/sto...xtrusions.html
    I had not heard about Kanya! What makes you say those are the best in the marketplace? Do you ship to Finland? Do you have similar fastener solution as the MiniTec Power-lock fastener available?

Thanks for you answer. I checked the moment of inertia and there is indeed a big difference between the 45 series and the 40 series profiles. The 45 series is way more rigid. Since the rigidity of the base is the most important thing, maybe it is a good decision to spend a bit more on the better profiles?

6. One of the first to bring to the market this type of products, swiss-made, and a very large range. yes there are a very large range of connectors, and you will see them in this link.
    https://www.zappautomation.co.uk/mec...ctors-242.html
    yes we ship worldwide, and the website should work out the shipping costs, but if not, just email me directly.

These connectors requires machining right? Do you also offer premachined profiles?

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

8. you need to only drill a hole a specific distance from the end. if you need us to do this we can do this for a cost, but i will need to know how many.
    But it is quite simple to do.
    We normally use an end mill to get a flat base to the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by NordicCnc View Post
    Thanks for you answer. I checked the moment of inertia and there is indeed a big difference between the 45 series and the 40 series profiles. The 45 series is way more rigid. Since the rigidity of the base is the most important thing, maybe it is a good decision to spend a bit more on the better profiles?
    Absolutely. As aluminium isn't as stiff as steel you need to get clever and use extrusions that make the best use of the material to get a rigid frame.

Absolutely. As aluminium isn't as stiff as steel you need to get clever and use extrusions that make the best use of the material to get a rigid frame.
    Thanks for your help! I will go with the larger/stiffer aluminium extrusions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information