. .
    Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Hi All,

Looking at ways to keep my cabinet wiring as tidy as possible. It seems to me that cable trays of some description are the way forward, with the aim of setting up a number of 'roads' up and down and left and right across the panel. I like the way Joe used the cable comb stuff, but not keen on covering it all up at the end. I'm also not keen on those cable spirals as getting a cable in or out seems like a nightmare.

Next option I guess is lots of cable ties, which on my aluminium back plate would require rather a lot of holes... Also the changing the setup problem.

I've come across this stuff (see attached image) which I quite like....
    https://www.digikey.si/product-detai...987-ND/3815064

Any comments on that stuff?

Am I missing a trick? Is there a better solution out there? Come on guys - let's talk OCD cabling solutions!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pinball-Buttons-10-e1548452050109-1024x768.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	26180

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Look at CPC before RS, Farnell and Digikey unless money is no object. CPC are part of Farnell but you can often find the exact same parts cheaper at CPC.

Cable trunking is the normal solution. https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-lead...-slot-trunking

Cable tie bases are available in self adhesive or screw fixing. https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-lead...ble-tie-mounts

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 40 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Cable trunking that Muzzer linked to is far better for hiding excess cable, and is probably the easiest to get into if you need to change anything.

To get neat wiring with only cable ties involves being very accurate with wire lengths, and if you do need to change anything, you normally need to cut and replace quite a few cable ties.

To give an idea of how good trunking is, here's a couple pics from my lathes cabinet during it's retro -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	getting-tidier_10500394085_o_resize.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	510.2 KB 
ID:	26181

Name:	wiring-tidied_10679267344_o_resize.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	754.1 KB 
ID:	26182
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzer View Post
    Look at CPC before RS, Farnell and Digikey unless money is no object. CPC are part of Farnell but you can often find the exact same parts cheaper at CPC.

Cable trunking is the normal solution. https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-lead...-slot-trunking

Cable tie bases are available in self adhesive or screw fixing. https://cpc.farnell.com/c/cable-lead...ble-tie-mounts
    Don't forget Rapid Electronics either, they often beat CPC for some stuff even if they don't sell quite the same range, they do the Hellerman slotted conduit stuff. Just saved about£20 on my big toroidal transformer with them And I have to say that even if it doesn't lend itself to modifications, the old fashioned lacing cord has a certain niceness to it.
    Last edited by Voicecoil; 07-08-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Lives in Lytham St. Annes, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 423. Received thanks 61 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Yes, good point. I've bought a few things from Rapid over the years.

Lacing cord is a lost art form! I recall wiring harnesses being laced up on pinboards back in the day. Real professional examples (aerospace and defence) would even varnish the knots for added security.

Slotted trunking is the best for sure. Take not you get different widths of slots, i usually use narrow slotted trunking.

Name:	panely.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	26183

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ericks For This Useful Post:

Lives in Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 469. Received thanks 100 times, giving thanks to others 43 times. Referred 1 members to the community.
    Thanks Guys, I'll take a more detailed look at the trunking - I think the narrow stuff would work well. I've just updated my build thread with my planned layout, so need to make a decision!

Ericks, can I ask what the dimensions of your narrow trunking are? Looks about 20-30mm wide?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

25 w x 40 H from rs components 878-1148

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ericks For This Useful Post:

Thread Information