. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ye, I don't get why air freight as gone up so much when there's 1000's of planes grounded with nothing to do. I've just been quoted $2000 to air freight 198Kg which is crazy.!! .. . . looks like it's going on a slow boat.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    International freight is currently screwed because of a lack of passenger flights.

Normally the freight companies buy up surplus cargo space in passenger planes, but they're mostly grounded. So they're facing the option of either flying partially loaded planes, or queuing the cargo up until they can fill a plane.
    The situation's that bad, some companies are flying passenger planes cargo only, and Airbus have even approved a system for strapping cargo to passenger seats to maximise cargo load without having to modify interiors.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Yes but surely they are better flying half full with cargo than sat on the ground which will still be costing them.? . . . I think they are just pirates.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It's not costing the freight companies though.

Anyway, anybody want to design a lathe for me?
    Just when I think I've got something worked out, I realise I've made a complete a$$e off something else.
    I'm currently sat looking at my cross slide assembly, which is looking quite good, with the carriage shaped nicely to give enough height to fit the ballscrew in with support for the linear rail trucks, and how the f*££$*£g trucks stick out an inch past the edge of the cross slide. I can't belief I've only just noticed. Where's that head banging smilie when you need it?

Any chance of some screenshots of the CAD or a video walk around? Sounds like an interesting project.

I know from my own projects that when you are developing something new there are always going to be issues along the way!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

This link might work - https://a360.co/2ZFxRoD

Progress has been pretty slow, as time is being split behind keeping up with orders using the manual lathe (I'm getting a dab hand at spinning dials to DRO readings!), and working through the list of things needed to get the big mill working (I might update that thread at some point). However as off Tuesday, I'll have 3 weeks to hopefully make a big dent in both projects.

I'm still working on the basic layout.
    My big issue is I want to maximise X-axis travel.
    Most of the parts I currently make could be done with about 120mm of travel and suitable gang tooling, however I'm wanting to add live tooling. I'll likely only need two live tools at any given time, and my original plan was to use VDI holders for everything with two driven, but having received a CAD model of a VDI30 holder, the closest spacing before access to the clamping screw becomes a problem, is 100mm.

I'm now thinking some form of interchangeable gang tooling blocks, then have the option of either driven VDI holders, or more compact driven tools more often found on gang lathes. The issue with that is tool changing becomes a bit more time consuming.

At the moment the design has around 350mm of X-axis travel. I could increase that to about 400mm, before I reach the limits of what I can machine. Another item on the list to work out, is potential tool layout so I can work out what kind of clearance everything needs.

Although that model shows everything flat, my plan is to tip it all up 45deg. Hence why the trucks aren't stacked directly on top of each other, plus it avoids bolt clashes between the trucks.

The big thing I'm not entirely happy about with this design, is unless I go to the hassle of a rotating ballnut, the servo motor is going to be hanging on the end of the cross slide.

So, as you can see from all that, there is a lot of contemplation needed while trying to juggle all my desired features, into something that will actually work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information